The First

New school year, new things to dread.

My six a.m. alarm rang from my phone that sat on my bedside table. So. Not. Ready. The different classes, the different teachers, the same people, the same damn place.

I did a big star fish stretch to muster up the courage to leave my bed and get ready for the day. Taking my phone from my bedside table, I stopped the alarm that was blaring through its speakers and then I checked my phone for notifications.

Surely enough, I got my usual good morning text from my boyfriend of one year, Grey, along with him asking what time to pick me up. I quickly texted him back and told him I was about to get ready and that I'd be ready in half an hour.

As I was about to enter my bathroom, I hear a knock on my bedroom door,"Gia, amore, are you awake?"

"Yes mama, I'm up," I replied and went into the bathroom to get through my morning routine. 

After I quickly got dressed, I rushed downstairs, greeting my mom and dad, seeing all three of my younger siblings all ready for school, giving each of them a kiss on their heads and finally readying myself a bowl of cereal.

"Ready for your last year Bambina?" My dad chimed, a big smile on his face, which is very common, despite the long hours of work as a cardiothoracic surgeon, he never fails to greet his four children with an energetic smile as well as showing genuine interest in our lives.

I wanted to groan in pain, truly not feeling any ounce of excitement to go back to school but my father's smile was contagious, I couldn't help but somehow be convinced that everything was going to be alright,"I guess papa, as ready as I can be."

Soon after having my breakfast, Grey honked his car horn, indicating he was outside and I bade my family goodbye.

"Hi baby," I greeted him as I got into the mustang and kissed him on the cheek. 

"Do we have to stay all day today?" I looked at him pouting as he chuckled in response,"We're barely doing anything today babe. Orientation and all, we'll get through, okay?" He said as he rubbed my thigh in assurance.

We reached school about fifteen minutes later, and upon arrival, we were greeted by my best friend Macey.

"THERE'S A NEW GUY," Macey squealed in excitement, her long curly brown hair bouncing with her, her statement being muffled by the closed windows, making me and Asher laugh in the process, recalling how much she's been talking about wanting a boyfriend but disliked every guy at school.

"Get your mans," I retorted, grabbing my bag as I get out of Asher's car,"How'd you find out anyway?"

"It's going around, Lina Branson said she saw him drive in earlier and heard him ask reception for his schedule, saying he's a senior. She said she didn't see much of his face though, but had a sexy back so for sure he's attractive." She explained, as we continued to walk into school, Asher laughed at the end of her statement, retorting with,"How the hell would you know someone's attractive because of a 'sexy' back'?"

Macey huffed,"We just know."

"She's right babe," I nodded,"When they're sexy in the back, they're usually sexy in the front too," I gave him a peck on his bicep,"Your back is sexy," I continued, making him roll his eyes but then he kisses me on the forehead right after.

We all got our schedules and were later seated in the assembly hall for our orientation where we were introduced to who would be helping us with our college applications, talked to about the extra curricular activities that were most important this year and the typical speech about how our grades were important but it was also important to create a portfolio that wasn't grade focused but more focused on us as people and the things we have achieved outside of school as well. 

The first half of the day went by quickly as it was filled with introductions rather than proper classes - First block being with Macey and second being with Asher, thankfully and third being on my own, but that's completely fine.

Then it was finally lunch, the part of the day that Macey was most excited for and couldn't shut up about because she was expecting to finally see the new kid.

"Where is he?" Macey grunted, clutching on to her tray of food as we walked towards our usual table.

"Patience is a virtue Mace, he'll probably be here," I stated, being the first to take a seat with Asher following right beside me as Macey took the seat across us, who suddenly started hitting my arm as she looked straight behind me where the entrance of the cafeteria was, and she started to repeat with excitement,"I think that's him!"

"Holy hot meat." She said almost breathlessly continuing to stare ahead,"Gi, you better look."

I turned to see a tall, broad shouldered figure, kinda muscly but not the type to the point where the muscles look like they're suffocating him but more in a way that is moderately packed within his body. Dark wavy hair, not too long, not too short and really, really, really, white teeth with the brightest smile.

"I'd let him walk on me..." Macey said, pursing her lips, making me choke through laughter on my water that I began to drink, making Asher pat me on the back.

"I'm gonna go say hi," Asher said and I nodded, seeing his other friends also grouping around the new kid.

Macey huffed,"I wanna go say hi," she said, pouting, making me chuckle a little,"You'll get your turn, he'll probably be in one of your classes," I replied in assurance.

"Mikey Rods is hosting a start of year party on Friday, are we going?"

"Are we?" I said, depending on her depending answer, not really caring if we go or not because I already knew if she wanted to go and I didn't, I'd have to go anyway so I could drive her home, being the one who rarely drinks and her being the one who usually gets drunk off her ass.

"Duh." She retorted, making me roll my eyes,"Asher's calling," she suddenly said and I look back, seeing him pointing to his phone, signaling me to check mine where I got a text from him telling me that he'd be spending lunch with his friends and the new guy and that he'll see me after school.

*

Soon enough, fourth block rolled by which I found out, I also had it with neither Asher or Macey, which was alright because it was AP Biology, my favorite class.

I was the first one to reach class. I like being early to my classes, it gives me the smallest peace of mind moment that I always need at school so I don't breakdown with the need and desire to go home and get back into bed.

To my surprise, as the rest of the students started flooding into class and took their seats, the new kid apparently also took this class and he sat a few seats ahead of me, making me notice his back that the girls were talking about.