7 Days -Prologue-

I paused for a second, trying to find the courage in me to open the door. I placed my hands on the handle and pushed it down. This was it. This was my first day of work.

The bell above the door rang brightly as I entered and approached the counter. Standing behind the cash register was a tall, brunette figure with dark brown eyes. She smiled sarcastically at me as I passed her my forms.

“Hi! I’m Georgia!” I introduced myself happily, thrusting my hand in her face. She scrunched up her nose and took my hand.

“And you are?” She asked rudely. I frowned in disappointment but pepped up again as I looked around and noticed what a lovely old café this was. It had an old rustic feeling to it, like something you would find in the late 1800s. The walls were dark wood panels, the colour of coffee and cream. The floor was a smooth chestnut and there were sturdy beige lanterns hanging as lights. I was broken out of my observations by the sound of the Front Desk Lady clearing her throat.

“Oh. Sorry. I’m your new waitress!”

She sneered at me, before plastering on a smile and tilted her head to the side. “Oh right! Well I am Iris and I’m the store manager. I’m guessing it’s your first day?” She explained, starting to relax around me now. I bobbed my head up and down and she led me out behind the counter to a large tea room. There were two tables in the middle with four chairs surrounding each.

Behind the tables was a wide bench top covered in kitchen utensils and napkins. Beside it was large stainless steel fridge and on the other side was a proper pizza oven. Gosh, fancy tea room!

“Your apron is on that hook over there,” Iris pointed to a long rack printed with a few names, one of which on the left was mine. It was second from the left. “You can chill here until half past and just do whatever. Go crazy with the coffee machine and see if you can make a new drink!” She offered, hurriedly turning back to the counter and back to her work.

So I had half an hour to kill until my first day on the job as an 18 year old officially started. What to do first?

On the right wall beside the door hung a 48” plasma screen TV, accompanied by a bright green PlayStation 3. I knew what I was doing for half an hour! I skipped over to the large stack of PS3 games resting on a coffee table and sifted through them.

The Simpsons; Hit and Run. That is so what I’m playing! I remember playing that when I was like 15! I thought to myself as I sat cross legged on the bouncy carpet a few feet away from the TV. You couldn’t sit too close to it because you’d have to look up really high and it would hurt your neck, plus being 48”, that would be really unhealthy for my eyes. I didn’t need thicker glasses!

But then the game loaded. ‘The Simpsoooooooons!’ Sung the catchy theme tune. “Duh, duh duh, duh duh duh duh duh DUH DUH DUH DUH!” I chanted loudly, pressing the start button in order to begin playing.

There was a short scene before I had to go and get ice cream and beer for Marge, as I was playing as Homer. Weird woman.

A few minutes later, I was on Level Two with Bart. Or at least I thought it was a few minutes… I took a quick look up at the clock only to notices I’d been playing PS3 for 28 minutes! I sprang to my feet and hurried to turn off all the equipment, before sprinting to my hook and taking my apron. It was green with little embroidered flowers on the bust part…

A bell sounded from the front (not the bell from the door, the bell from the counter). I finished tying up the strings at the back of my awesome apron and faced Iris, my hands behind my back.

“Just in time, newbie!” She stated happily.

“I’m ready!”