The Tale of the White Fox

They circled, front paws springing off the undergrowth, kicking up new fallen leaves and yipping as they met. One fox was white, with black dotting the points of her ears and the tip of her tail. The other was orange. They settled together in a bed of clover and fragrant mint that sprung up where they played.

"I am so glad to see you my friend. Autumn is on its way, and the northern forest is well. Today I saw a young bird take flight for the first time. I chased a yearling rabbit, just to see that it was swift and strong. The aspens are brightening to yellow there, and I tasted the last of the summer raspberries. "

"I am glad to see you too. I've been to the southern forest, and there it is still hot and dry. But I saw some velvet on the forest floor, and tasted my first sweet acorn of the year." Red Fox licked his lips, but then he snuggled closer to his friend. Their heads rested on each other's rumps, and they looked like one creature with two heads and two tails.

"But then I saw a sick deer... It was lying on its side, stomach ready to burst, and its eyes were wide. I wanted to end its misery... I couldn't. It smelt vile. I ran away."

White Fox cooed.

"I think you did right, and would have become sick if you had touched the deer. We must find the source of the sickness together. Where does it come from?"

"To the West."

"Then we will go tomorrow."

At dawn they sped towards the west following the smell that made their stomachs turn. They slowed when the smell became so strong that their eyes streamed, and found themselves surrounded by toppled trees and jagged stumps, grey and frail like old bones. Crying they surveyed the bank of a creek, once lush, now baren.

Where their tears fell sprigs of mint grew, then shrivelled back into the ground.

They shook their tears away, and danced. They moved together, brush tails swishing up and down in time. Each step matched the other's step and was as light as if there were still soft leaves and creeping plants beneath them. Heads high, ears forward, mouths open and eyes gleaming their dance held all the joy of play. Behind them the bank was slowly turning green.

"We did it.

"The land is healing."

"We should stop here tonight, and be sure the creek fills with fresh water again."

Content with their work, they fell asleep in the afternoon sun. They woke shivering and lying on bare dirt.

"Our dance didn't work."

"Look at the water."

Padding down to the edge of the creek they bowed their heads and sniffed, then jumped back, tails between their legs.

"We will have to try again."

So they danced again. Again the ruin turned green around them. Again the growing things faded away. Morning after morning they danced, until the leaves of the healthy trees in the distance were afire with gold, and the nights were getting too chill for the meager hole they dug themselves on the bank.

White Fox nuzzled her friend as they watched the green things die one evening.

"We need to banish the poison from the water. I have an idea, but..."

Before Red Fox could twitch his tail to follow she tore down the bank and into the water.

"Stay there. Don't come down."

Red Fox keened into the night as he watched White Fox put her head down to the stagnant water and drink. Her body shook and so did his. Her glossy white coat was turning grey. She continued to drink until the water was clear and cool, and then collapsed.

Red Fox sped down the healthy river bank. Water was flowing swiftly through the creek again, and was just starting to carry away the limp body of White Fox when Red Fox grabbed her by the tail. He dug his paws into the mud of the creek and pulled, walking until he reached the very edge of the trees.

"It worked," he said.

"Good."

"We are supposed to do things together."

Red Fox rubbed his snout against the damp fur on her face. He stayed there until he no longer heard the White Fox's breathing. When he moved his head to nuzzle her again he felt something smooth and hard. Where White Fox had been there was a bone white tree stump. It was like the others that had filled the baren space, but those were now covered in moss and mushrooms. Red Fox could just make out the shape of a fox's head in the bark.

Red Fox keened into the dark.

"Bring her back to me. Please bring her back. There is too much forest for me to care for on my own. Who will look for deer velvet with me? Who will make sure the rabbits are swift, and eat the last summer berries?"

"I will watch the deer with you."

The Red Fox turned, and through the blurring of his tears he saw a wolf emerging from the trees.

"I will make sure the rabbits are swift."

The yellow eyes of a lynx shimmered in the dark.

"I will taste the last of the summer berries."

A bear lumbered out and stood beside the wolf.

One by one all the creatures stepped forward. Each took one task. One by one they stepped back and left Red Fox sitting beside the stump alone.

"And who will dig the earth into a den with me? Who will play in the first snow? Who will curl next to me during a storm and whisper stories?"

A cold rain began to pater around him. In it Red Fox could smell the fresh tang of snow, and spotted a few snowflakes collecting on his chest. With one last look at the stump Red Fox turned and walked back into the shelter of the forest, the fur on his chest turning to a streak of white.