First Customer

Roz was reading Tobin's spirit guide sitting on the couch on the second floor of the firehouse when their commercial came on the TV. It was the four of them lined up and wearing their uniforms.

Ray steps up, "Are you troubled by strange noises in the middle of the night?" He stepped back.

Egon steps up, "Do you experience feelings of dread in your basement or attic?" He stepped back.

Roz steps up, "Have you or anyone you know felt an unexplained presence?" She stepped back.

Peter steps up, "Have you or any of your family ever seen a spook, specter,d or ghost?" He stepped back.

Ray steps up again, "If the answer is yes, then don't wait another minute. Pick up your phone and call the professionals."

"Ghostbusters!" Ray, Peter, Egon, and Roz said.

"Our courteous and efficient staff is on call twenty-four hours a day to serve all your supernatural elimination needs," Ray said.

"We're ready to believe you!" All four of them said in unison.

Message flashes on the screen: "GHOSTBUSTERS 555-2368".

Roz chuckled and shook her head as she said, "What have I gotten myself in too?"

Roz was standing outside of the soon-to-be Ghostbuster headquarters with Peter. Marty was putting the sign above the entrance, a long white sign with 'Ghostbusters' written in black.

"You don't think it's too subtle, Marty? You don't think people are going to drive down and not see the sign?" Peter asked. Marty shakes his head. A dark blue hearse drives up, "You can't park that here!"

"Everybody can relax, I found the car!" Ray announced, getting out of the car, " Needs some suspension work; and shocks, and brakes, brake pads, lining, steering box, transmission, rear end -"

"Jesus, is there anything else this car won't need?" Roz muttered.

"How much?" Peter asked him.

"Only forty-eight hundred," Ray answered, "And maybe new rings, also mufflers, a little wiring."

"Just get me the parts, and I'll work on the car, Ray," Roz said before she and Peter walked inside the firehouse.

Peter and Roz walked toward the Ghostbuster's secretary, Janine Melnitz, sitting at her desk and reading a magazine.

"Janine! Any calls?" Peter asked.

"No," Janine answered while she is still reading the magazine.

"Any messages?" Roz asked.

"No."

"Any customers?" Peter asked.

Janine looks up at him and answers, "No, Dr. Venkman."

"It's a good job, isn't it? Type something, will you? We're paying you for this stuff!..." Peter goes into his office, "Don't stare at me, you got them bug eyes... Janine!" Peter turns around and says, "Sorry about the bug eyes thing. I'll be in my office."

Roz opens the large doors of the firehouse for Ray to drive the car into the building. Roz took off her jacket before she and Ray started working on the car to get it back in shape.

"Hello?" A woman calls as she enters the building. She walks past Ray and Roz, going to Janine, "Oh. Excuse me. This, this is the Ghostbusters' office?"

"Yes, it is," Janine answers as she files her nails, "Can I help you?

"I don't have an appointment. I'd like to talk to someone, please," The woman replied.

Peter bolts from his office and over to the woman before introducing himself, "I'm Peter Venkman. May I help you?"

"Well, I don't know. What I'm about to say may sound a little unusual."

"Oh, that's all we get day in, day out around this place. Come into my office, Miss -"

"Barrett, Dana Barrett," She introduced herself.

In the lab in the firehouse, Dana is hooked up to a machine. As she talks, Peter, Ray, Roz, and Egon watch a monitor that turns her head in different colors.

"And this voice said "Zuul". And then I slammed the refrigerator door, and I left. That was two days ago, and I haven't been back to my apartment," Dana finished her story.

"Generally, you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance," Peter said before asking her, "What do you think it was?"

"Well, if I knew what it was I wouldn't be here," Dana told him.

"Egon, what do you think?" Peter asked him.

Egon shining a headlamp in Peter's eyes, "She's telling the truth. At least, she thinks she is."

"Well, of course, I'm telling the truth!" Dana exclaimed, "Who would make up a story like that?"

"Some are people who just want attention. Others, just nutballs who come in off the street," Peter told her.

"You know what it could be? Past-life experience intruding on present time," Ray suggested.

"Maybe it's some being trying to warn her about something," Roz suggested.

"Could be erased memories stored in the collective unconscious. I wouldn't rule out clairvoyance or telepathic contact, either," Egon said.

"I'm sorry, I don't believe in any of those things," Dana told them.

"Well, that's all right. I don't either. But there are some things we do. Standard procedures we carry out in a case like this, which often bring us results," Peter informed her.

"Well, I could go down to the hall of records and check out the structural details in the building. Maybe the building itself has a history of psychic turbulence," Ray said.

Peter nodded, "Right, go do that."

"I could look for the name Zuul in the usual literature," Egon said.

"Spates Catalog," Ray suggested.

"Tobin's Spirit Guide," Egon suggested.

"I can see if there is any mention of the name in any books of the demonic and ancient spirits I have," Roz said.

"Yeah," Ray agreed.

"Tell you what. I'll take Miss Barrett back to her apartment and check her out," Peter knew he said the wrong thing correcting himself, "I'll go check out Miss Barrett's apartment, okay?"

"Okay, thank you," Dana responded.