Setting a Christ-like Example

Psalms 115:1 (NIV) says,
"Not to us, Lord , not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness."

I've read this verse a lot in the past and what I received from it was that everything we do must glorify God, but the other day I was reading it again and God was telling me that it goes two ways. If I say I'm a christian, yet I'm mean and set a bad example, that reflects on christianity as a whole, as well as God. Christians often get the title of "judgemental" because we tell people off instead of speaking the truth in love.

In Matthew 12 the Pharisees are testing Jesus and asked him what the most important commandment is. He replies in verses 37-39, "Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

The second most important thing we are instructed to do is love one another, no matter who they are

In Matthew 5:43-44 it says, "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"

And later in verse 46-47, "If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?"

Jesus then says in Matthew 7:3, "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

We have no right to judge because we make just as many mistakes as others.
We are called for greater things, to love others and to set an example, and yes, it's difficult, but we don't have to do that alone. The Holy Spirit lives in us and gives us guidance. We won't always get it right, but we will grow as we try to do so.