Chapter 20- New Bonds (Part 3)

For the next few minutes, SJ and Maaria scanned through the book in complete silence. SJ had mostly recovered, aside from a small headache.

When their eyes landed on a page, they moved their hands on it at the same time, with Maaria's resting on top of SJ's.

SJ tensed up a little, which made Maaria quickly move her hand away. SJ glanced at Maaria, her heart racing when she saw she was doing the same. "Uh, I... we should probably talk about the ki-"

"- Yeah, yeah. We should", interrupted Maaria. "I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have kissed you the second time."

SJ shook her head. "No, I-I... I didn't mind it."

Maaria's eyes widened. Just for a brief moment. Then, they squinted as they scanned her face, using the skills her father taught her to tell if someone's lying.

She wasn't. Well, as far as Maaria could tell. But that hopeful dreamer in Maaria disappeared. They may have liked the kiss, but nothing could happen between them. It would just make things more complicated.

"Oh. Well... maybe we should just leave that in the past. You know, to focus on this mission?"

SJ looked down, her lips pressed in an attempt to hide any emotion. "Y-Yeah. That's probably for the best. Th-thanks for saving me though."

Maaria wasn't sure how to respond, so just turned back to the book. The drawings were beautiful- Audrey and Lyndi would most definitely be proud.

"Wait", said SJ, pointing to a certain paragraph. "Look."

Maaria's eyes landed on the same paragraph. "Akermill Forest is not guarded. For this reason, ancient artifacts such as the Ruby Stone are not here, contrary to popular belief."

SJ looked at Maaria, a sad smile on her face. It took a little longer for it to register with Maaria.

"Dad lied to me."

-

The others arrived back at the camp. Some walked slowly, whilst others walked with a spring in their step. Yes, the information they discovered may have been upsetting, but it was a step in the right direction.

Naomi sighed. "Got any more water, Drea?"

Drea scowled. "Not for you."

Noah noticed the sad expression on Naomi's face. He handed her his water bottle. "Here. I didn't drink any."

Drea glared at him, but didn't say a word.

Sure, Noah was still upset at what Naomi did. But it was an accident. He wasn't going to hold a grudge against her.

"Any luck?", asked Giamora, as she exited the Medical Hut. Kai walked out after her, looking a lot better than before.

Aurelie grinned. "Yes! It was very insightful."

Giamora grinned. "I was right to have faith in you."

"Guys!", exclaimed SJ, her face a bright red from the running. She collapsed on the floor, her breathing laboured.

Mikhail rushed to her. "SJ! What happened?"

Maaria's eyes were focused on Kai. The man she hadn't seen in years. The man she needed, looked up to, loved. The man who nearly got her and SJ kílled. "He's a traitor."