Lavender (Part 2)

Her whisper touches me, soft as a raindrop.
Ammar comes behind her and holds her by the shoulders. "Mother...." He always called my mother his mother. He always said what is his is mine and what is mine is his too... "Mother, it's been two months. She...she won't wake up. It's best for all of us that we...move on. I should take her shares. Please talk to father..."
My mother squeezes my hand gently and briefly nods. She turns and leaves, her footsteps light and grim.
Ammar stares at me and I stare back, my brain numb and unable to absorb the reality of his words.
His face is unreadable. In all the years I have been married to him, I have never once mistaken the look on his face. Now, I just can't decipher what his eyes were saying.
Slowly, he inches closer to me and takes my hand, with tubes attached to it, in his cold ones. "I'm doing this for the three of us, Zara."
I have so many questions that I want to ask him, and as I try to hold on to his hands, they slip out of mine.
I feel scared. I want to hide away in the dark until I figure out what is going on. Please...I yearn, as his eyes bore into mine.
The door opens and in walks a perfect copy of myself.

(Read the rest of Part 2 on the blog. Link in bio)