Baking muffins! | Part 6

word count: 1077

Y/n's pov

You had walked to home with Snufkin after a while of fishing. When you got home it was already pretty late so you just said goodbye to Snufkin, and went to bed.

The sunlight was shining through the curtains to your eyes. Y/n opened their eyes and looked at the window. It seemed like it was going to be a rather warm day today. You got up from bed and stretched your body. Y/n opened the window to let some fresh air in and went out of the room to get ready for the day.

After eating breakfast you ran to the moominhouse. Y/n didn't just want to burst in the house so you stopped in front of the door and knocked. You weren't expecting moominmamma to open the door but there she was.

"Why hello dear. What are you up to?" She asked, looking at you. You didn't really have a plan when you had decided to come here. You had jut been bored out of your mind, so going to the moominhouse just seemed like a good idea. "I was looking for Moomintroll and the others, are they here?" Y/n asked with a smile on their face. "I'm afraid not, but if you'd like I was baking muffins, do you want to help?" She asked. It's not like you had anything else to do so you just nodded and said sure.

Moominmamma escorted you to the kitchen, and gave you an apron. "we are making blueberry muffins today. the recipe book is on the counter top, but i remember the recipe from the top of my head!" Moominmamma explained to you. "Dear please preheat the oven to 218°C. I'll get the ingredients. You came here just in time, i was just about to start when i heard the knock." She smiled at you.

(i ain't no housewife so i don't bake often, so i just used the first blueberry muffin recipe that comes up on google when you search for one XD)

You went to preheat the oven and when you turned around you saw Moominmamma placing the last ingredients on the table. "Let's see, we have: all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla yougurt, milk and blueberries. Okay that's all we need." Moominmamma smiled. "Y/n could you spray the muffin pan with nonstick spray? It's in the cabinet next to you. While you're at it I will mix all of the streusel ingredients together." She asked. "Already on it!" You smiled and got the spray. Y/n carefully sprayed the pan and set it aside.

"Now, here take this whisk. I poured the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together, you can whisk them!" Moominmamma said and waited for you to do it. Y/n placed the whisk into the bowl and mixed the ingredients together. After that you were assigned to mix the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together for two minutes.

Moominmamma was doing something on the other side of the kitchen while you were mixhing the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. After a little more mixing the mixture started to look smooth and creamy. "It's ready!" You notified Moominmamma. She turned around and added two eggs. After mixing that she added the vanilla yougurt, and told you to mix that until they were all combined.

After all that was done Moominmamma give you the dry ingredients and milk, asking you to mix them with the wet ingredients and mix it until no flour pockets remained. It had been a while since you had baked muffins but this reminded you of your childhood and all the things your mom used to bake with you. Moominmamma noticed that you were done and gave you a little break. "Go get some juice to drink from the fridge, I'll fold in the blueberries." She smiled and began doing so.

You got the juice and drank it while watching what Moominmamma was doing. She spooned the batter into liners, filling them all the way to the top, and topped each with streusel. "Okay, now Y/n dear could you put it into the oven? Then we'll wait for five minutes." She asked sitting down. Y/n picked up the pan and slid it into the oven.

After five minutes Moominmamma went to the oven to reduce the oven temperature to 177°C. "Now we wait for 18-20 minutes and they should be ready. Moomintroll and the other should be here soon so let's get some plates and glasses on the table." Moominmamma said, taking out plates and forks. "I'll put these on the table, you can go and get the knives and the glasses." Y/n nodded and went looking for the glasses and knives. Once you made it back to the kitchen table Moominmamma had brought a big juice jug to the table. "Thank you Y/n, i'll put these on the table, you can go and take the muffins out of the oven." Moominmamma told you, and took the glasses and knives from you.

You set the pan on top of the oven to let them cool down. The recipe book said to wait for 5 minutes before eating them. Before you were able to leave the kitchen you heard a knock from the door. Y/n wandered next to the kitchen table to watch Moominmamma open the door. Moomintroll hugged her mum, and then saw you.

"Why hello! I wasn't expecting you to be here, what a nice surprise!" He smiled and walked into the house. Behind him was Sniff, Snufkin and Snorkmaiden.

"Me and Y/n here made some blueberry muffins, if you'd like some feel free to sit down. I'll go and get Moominpappa to come down here too!" Moominmamma smiled and went upstairs

You and the others sat down and started a little chat. Soon Moominmamma came back with Moominpappa and they sat down too. "Oh i'll go and get the muffins." You said and went into the kitchen. Y/n placed the muffins on a nice plate and brought them to the table. "There we go" You smiled and sat back down.

You chatted with the others while enjoying the muffins.

//Haha i came here to continue a totally different book but here I am writing this. I just got the idea when i opened the other draft i had for the other book and couldn't resist writing this now. Hope you have a nice rest of your night or day!^^ See you again hopefully soon!