A Lifelong Promise

The business hour was over when Kat reached the restaurant, the door was not locked though. The chime was glittering and reflecting her questioning face when she entered.

The indoor was warm and dark. She walked along the dining area, the bar but found no one there. It was when she saw a dim light spread across the near corner of the area, she knew someone was waiting for her.

"Hi, thanks for returning." Justin stood as he saw Kat approaching, giving his seat to her.

Kat took a glimpse of the environment around her and sat. Nothing special, the same chair, the same desk with the tomato bottle.

"Look, I'm...I'm really sorry for my earlier reaction. I didn't mean to act like that but your proposal was the last thing I expected to hear from you and I was too surprised." Justin poured some water for her.

"Why surprised? Is it because you never thought of marrying me?" Kat touched the glass and didn't drink.

"No..."

"After all these months telling me that you loved me and making others feel the same way, I'm just your skating partner and only one of those naive girls who kept on coming back and wanting more from you. Right?"

Why did I get myself into trouble by dating a girl with no sense at all...

"Kat, you're my perfect skating partner. And I want you to understand that it's totally fine for you wanting more from me because I also wanted more from you..." Justin sighed, kneed beside Kat with his hand in his pocket.

"What do you want from me then?" Kat looked at the window and avoided his eyes.

"I want you to marry me."

Time stopped. Air froze. Silence filled the whole space and only after a minute when someone finally moved.

Kat turned to Justin, where she discovered him putting a small thing in her palm and removed his hand from it. It was a tiny, simple and modest silver ring.

"Justin..."

"If you have allowed more time for me, I could make it better. It was my first handmade work but it nearly tortured me for six months..." Justin whispered with a nervous smile.

"Six months? So you..." Kat couldn't believe on what she heard.

"I started planning my proposal when we won the national championships." Justin shrugged.

"What..." Kat hold the ring in the air and felt its silvery light gradually cleared her mind.

"I have thought of different ways and places to propose but couldn't reach a conclusion. I planned to do it after everything was settled but then..." He stopped.

"I ruined your plan by asking that question before you." Kat looked at Justin and realised she has never really studied this sincere face with these sparkling eyes, even they skate nearly every day, dated on streets or slept in bed for more times than she could remember.

"You know I don't need anything elegant and expensive, don't you?" She asked.

"That's why I'm struggling. I want you to be happy without killing me for any diamond rings, 100 roses or any boastful acts." Justin reached for her hand and she didn't refuse.

"I will be happy enough if you accepted my proposal hours ago..." Kat still felt doubtful on why he didn't say yes to her.

"I want to give you a home by asking you to marry me, not the other way round. How could I give you my ring if I was the one to accept your proposal?"

"You stupid idiot!!!" Kat kicked his forehead gently which didn't made him hurt but just smiled.

"Miss Katarina Baker, I know we have gone through a lot and it would be a bit weird to marry your career partner and skate with your spouse on rinks. But I am truly grateful for what we had and I hope to spend the rest of my life with you. I cannot promise you every peaceful and cheerful day but I swear that no matter good or bad days, I'm always there for you. You know I'll never let you fall, right?" Justin kneed in front of Kat and said.

"What if I'm not good enough? What if...what if I got manic again?" She questioned with tears on her face, again.

"There's no 'what ifs', only 'what is' and 'what will'. I don't care if you are manic or not, I only care if you love me and I will make sure you do so whatever state you're in. Does it sound good?" Justin hold her cheeks in his hand.

Kat eventually nodded and gave him her left hand.

"What else can I say? You stubborn bastard." Kat didn't know she could keep that much tears in her big eyes.

"That made us a good pair, isn't it?" Justin replied after putting the ring on her finger.

"Hey you!!" Kat tried to hit Justin again, but he stopped her by a small kiss.

She didn't know Justin uttered a sign of relief before his lips touched hers.

-----------------------

"So where did you learn those cheesy words to say when proposing to a girl? Did you speak that to all girls you met in your room?" Kat asked suddenly when they left the restaurant. The sky was dark but moonlight was there.

"Of course not!" Justin yelled at once. "I just...I just attended consultation."

"With who? I don't think your dad and Mandy could make up those romantic lines." Kat said.

"The one who understood you and me well enough." Justin looked confident because he knew he has found the right teacher to turn his girlfriend into his fiancé now.

"Wait...Dasha?!!!" Kat felt herself waken from a dream and urged for his response.

Justin avoided her glance and ran before her with a laugh, when she chased after him.

"Justin Davis!" 

"What? My Mrs Kat Davis!!" His voice leaped and spread in the frozen air, soft but enough for her to hear it.

You hurt me, a lot. But you know what, I still couldn't help but fall for you.

No matter how many times we walked away from each other, you are always there to retrieve me to your heart.

Your tiny and simple heart of love.

END