[12] Tōru's Special Eyes

Oikawa Tōru did not come from a stable, functional family.

This much was quite obvious since he was a child.

On his sixth birthday, he sat alone in the living room without any gifts or even a hug.

But that was the least of his worries.

His birthday was just another day for him, if not even more stressful. His mother would still come home from work crying her eyes out, and Tōru would still have to comfort her, and stop his father from making it any worse.

The only difference was that his parents would make Tōru feel bad for wanting to do something fun for his special day.

At six years old, Tōru was more mature than many ten year olds. He knew how to cook basic meals, and knew the routine of everybody in the house. He knew at what time to retreat to the quietness of his room, when his father would wake up in the afternoon and drink a bit, when he would have to do the laundry and make coffee for his parents, as well as when to wake up them for work everyday.

He didn't expect love or affection from his parents. He didn't expect toys or food made for him, or even a simple 'I love you' before school every morning.

It was as if he was the parent. He never got to be a child. He never got to laugh and play and relax, bond with his parents through life experiences... He had to mature all too quickly. He was forced to grow up too fast.

Maybe that's why Tōru turned out so childish in high school.

And maybe that's why Iwaizumi found him so weird and slightly intimidating (but he'd never admit that) when they first met. Of course, Iwaizumi didn't have a clue himself.

It took awhile for Iwaizumi to begin noticing the littlest of changes in Tōru's mood throughout the day at school. Iwaizumi was annoyed at the fact that Tōru could notice when he was just a tiny bit upset at something.

Tōru noticed when his friend was hiding his emotions. He always knew exactly what Iwaizumi was feeling. Was he that easy to read? Was Iwaizumi an open book?

His parents would hide their emotions, but Tōru's eye was trained to see when they were angrier than usual, stressed out or tired. This skill allowed him to read closed off people as if they were wide open.

Tōru simply had special eyes that could see through anybody, given to him through years of reading people who are closed off and manipulative in order to survive.

He was something of a fake person ever since he was a kid. At home, he was the observant, quiet and obedient child wanting to survive. The child who wasn't really a child, who wasn't allowed to be one, while at school, he was a smart and enthusiastic role model for all. This is something he had to learn himself.

Iwaizumi saw that Tōru was usually stoic and attentive during class. By playtime, he would let loose just a little bit, but was obviously keeping his guard up. He was a model student and well liked by all. He couldn't stand to give himself or his family a bad image. Or, well, his parents wouldn't stand.

However, there was obviously something wrong, much clearer to the adults than anyone, but nobody ever took action.

Reputation. That was the one thing drilled into Tōru's mind during his years at school.

Be a show-off.

Be confident.

Give you and your family a good image.

Show the public how amazing of a family you are, to raise such a talented, smart and popular son.

Iwaizumi couldn't remember the last genuine smile he saw from Tōru. It actually had to come back to him in a dream.