Chapter One

Devonté had a daily routine. Get up; Go to school, and Get Money. The three G's as he liked to call it. He was just waiting for that second G to become college then work. His Grandmother or Big Momma always teased him by insisting the third G become a honey. Best believe Devonté wasn't one to let us say "sleep alone" but, he wasn't about to turn a ho into a housewife. He always replied,  “What I need a honey fo, when my granny already so sweet." Everybody in Brooklyn knew Devonté would die all over again for his grandmother.

As Devonté headed off for school. Big Momma, still in her robe, ran out to his car "don’t think I forgot my one and only living grandson's special day" handing him a brown paper bag and a big kiss goodbye. Devonté just smiled and pulled out of the driveway. It happened again for the third year in a row. Big Momma had confused Devonté's birthday with his younger brother Yaren's. To Big Momma, Devonté had five birthdays: his own (Dec. 5), his Mom's (April 21), Baby boy Yaren's (Oct. 5), His late granddaddy’s (Jan 2) and his older sister's (Jun 27).  He knew Big Momma was only coping with the loss of most her closest relatives but, it was time for her to realize they're gone and giving him 50$ five times a year isn't going to bring them back.

When Devonté pulled up to the school he was as always greeted by his boys TMac and Gritty with the usual “What do you have to eat mane?”

Gritty by law is Hassan Rivera Mwaita. An eighteen year old African refugee with a southern accent and was no doubt the realest person you'll ever met. He tells you straight up how he feels and never sugar coats it. Not the guy you want around a funeral but, great for a party. Tmac or Trey-Malik Easly-Maraj born in Trinidad and Tobago. He's family to that rapper but, he'd never tell you that. He's a talkative seventeen years old surely on his way to Harvard or Yale if he stops drinking. The bottom of a bottle is where Trey-Malik becomes TMac and all hell breaks loose. Once he set fire to a row of cars just for fun. As he walked by them laughing and about to tip over. Trey heard a scream from the burning cars that made his blood turn cold and between breaking the window and pulling the baby girl to freedom he sobered up, the little girl now six has chronic asthma and thinks of Trey as her hero. Its kills him on the inside but, he'd never tell you that.

Devonté just shook his head at his friend's 'I haven't ate all my life' faces and tossed the two McDonald Bags. Gritty smiles looking into the bag than says, “No Drinks?" Devonté reached into his car and said "Ima change yo name to Greedy" Vonte joked as he threw him two Brisk teas. Gritty with a mouth full of food replied," my brotha, my brotha .”

The group struts into John W Bailey High School. As they turn the corner Devonté abruptly stops smiling like a love struck fool. TMac nearly crashing into him narrows his eyes towards a Strawberry honey dressed in all-black and last week’s release of Jordan's putting books into her locker. Gritty erupts in laughter "Boy, if you don’t go talk to that girl. You've been into her since the second grade" sending small chunks of big Mac to the floor. TMac pushes Devonté in the direction of the girl. "Wassup Rasseberry Milkshake?”  Devonté calls out while playfully pulling her hair. Rasseberry giggled and shyly blushed. “Vonté, You got like a thousand nicknames for me.”

"Well there's Rasie B, Rasseberry Milkshake , shorty, shoe strangs, boo thang, Madonna, lil pink riding hood, smiley, pretty eyes, future wifey and the list goes on and on", he says with a big smile. "Future wifey?” She replied to him with a cute "I didn't know that" and left with the sway of her hips. "Baby girl, Don’t Flex. You already know Ima marry you and we gone have some little pink babies.”  Rasseberry giggled at the thought of actual pink babies “You got my number; hit me up like you use too". Devonté stood up straight and prepared to walk away "Anything for my lil boo.”  As he started to walk she called out, "What you doing, my class this way.”