𝒸𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝟣

(Surname) (Name) never thought of herself as the ‘summer romance’ type

The thing about summer romance is that more often than not, it is finite. And more often than not, there is always the hope for more even in the knowledge of bittersweet endings that will only lead to heartache.

Everyone knows this, naturally. When you get into a holiday fling, you get into it fully expecting that it will end when you inevitably have to leave the hazy summer dream and return to your average routines of life. But that knowledge has never deterred those who fall victim to the temptation that hangs in the air much like the smell of salt on the sea breeze.

The idea of something being so consuming is more than a little scary given its notoriously temporary nature.

But she is only human after all, and when she runs into Tatsuya Himuro on the beaches of San Clementine, California, she’s too caught up in the heady smell of the sea and the warm air clinging to her skin to have clear foresight of what is to come when he offers her a slight smile of acknowledgment that is almost enough to convince her that he is but a mirage because she doesn’t think she has ever seen something quite so enticing.

They don’t know each other. He’s just another stranger, regardless of the fact that he obviously looks to be about her age. But by this time in the evening, the beach is empty enough for no one else to be in their immediate vicinity and there is something in the August air that gently nudges her to throw caution to the wind and approach the cute boy at the bay because his smile is so clearly an invitation that she doesn’t want to deny.

Maybe her unsurety is obvious in her approach because the boy speaks before she has even fully made it to him.

“Hello.”

And it’s so simple, really, but it’s friendly and open, and (Name) sinks into the warmth of the offer, allowing some of her apprehension to slip away so she can respond to him, “Hey.”