- Prologue -

A dusty white tom slid out of the nursery, his blue eyes shining in the light as he licked his paws. Looking around to check for cats, and cautiously making his way to the dirtplace tunnel, the small tom picked through the bramble under pass, tensing as he ducked away from Ferretlightning's watching gaze.

He guided himself through the thick, dimly lit forest outside of his camp, keeping his eyes on any weird hole or passageway gaping in the ground like the mouth of a hungry fox, waiting to swallow him whole. 

"Come on Moonrisekit, you're almost apprentice aged! You know there's no reason to be scared of the dark." He muttered to himself, shaking out his fur as he continued through the forest path until he arrived at the foot of a steep, rocky hill.

Climbing slowly, Moonrisekit made his way up the hill until he reached a large expanse of flat ground. Though his legs were beginning to ache, and he felt exhausted, he knew he couldn't stop yet. Moving through the tough, springy grass, he made his way across the expansive moorland, ignoring the way his paws felt like they were about to fall off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stumbling to a halt, Moonrisekit looked around to see where he was, and realised that he couldn't see the edge of the moorland any longer. Satisfied with how far he'd gotten, and dizzy with hunger and exhaustion, Moonrisekit glanced across the area. Spotting a thick-rooted cypress, Moonrisekit pushed his way under the large tree and curled up, too tired to do much else.

This is the right way- it has to be!  The tom reassured himself. I'm going the right way. I'll bring my parents home, and I'll prove that they did nothing wrong. I swear it!