Chapter 7

I wake up only to be startled by the sight of Reiji staring at me. I jump up. His emotionless expression stares me down.
"Can I help you?" I feel an aching pain in my back where my stubborn ass just had to sleep on the floor. I should've known I'd wake up like this.

"I decided to investigate knowing your suspicions made sense. Turns out we were meant to find this place. The reaper is here. And she wants to speak with you."

Suddenly everything I was feeling before is replaced with panic. I'm paralyzed unable to think or move for a moment. She's here? Why is she here!

"Where is she." I try my best to hide my trepidation but it shows in my eyes clear as day. Could she end up taking out her impatience on Yui? I know for a fact she's not satisfied with me. I've been slacking off. I'm not taking it serious enough. We're still at the same spot we were in when we started the search. We've gotten nowhere. The one lead we had barely gave us anything.

"Has she been following us all this time?"
"She's been keeping tabs but it would set off alarms if she followed us like a shadow. She has no interest in talking to me. Only you. You are the one who made the deal so I can't say I'm surprised. She wants you to meet at a party taking place in one of the villagers houses. You have to go alone."

"No." I look passed him to see a groggy Yui standing up from bed and rubbing her eyes.
"He can't. That's to dangerous."
"It's fine Yui. It's not a big deal and I can't say no. Be reasonable." She sighs but she knows I'm right. She only nods before walking away to go change.

"When's the party?"
"Tonight. I'd prepare myself if I were you. I doubt she's happy with us. Here." He hands me a tiny device.
"What is this?"
"If anything happens press that button it's connected to mine inside my jacket. It will alert me immediately and we'll know to come after you."
"No. If something happens, I want you to get Yui out of town. Make her your first priority."
"But Ay.."
"No! I don't care Reiji! She's the whole reason we're in this mess it will all be in vain if we lose her. I want you to get her out of here the second things go wrong. You should know by now that I can take care of myself."

He nods in agreement at that but he's still irritated with this idea. I can tell he strongly disagrees and he sighs deeply.
"Fine. But if it comes down to that after one night I will make contact with you again. I will go back for you and if you don't come back I won't hesitate to abandon Yui for your sake. Every blood bag can be replaced my brother cant."

As much as I hate how he talks about Yui I decide to leave it be. I may have changed but that doesn't mean my brother has. I can't blame him for his opinions on humans. If it weren't for me developing feelings I'd still think the same way. Even humans would choose family over someone they didn't care for. They'd understand Reiji's concept.

"Fine. Just save yourselves ok. I made this deal whatever consequences come of that I'm willing to accept them."
After that I walk away from him to see Yui standing by the door.

"I won't let you leave." I walk towards her. I smile down at her. She can be pretty stubborn sometimes. She'll fight me if she thinks I'm trying to run towards danger, but considering how long she's been living this life she should understand it by now. I guess not.

"It's not a big deal we were bound to meet eventually. We need to go over things. I can't just decline that's what will piss her off. The real danger is not going." Shes almost convinced but she doesn't cave, so I just pick her up and throw her over my shoulders so that I can move her out of the doorway.

"I still have a while before I have to meet up with her but I think I'm going to look around town for anything that catches my eye."
"Remember Ayato."
"Press the button if I'm in trouble yeah yeah I know." I walk out and close the door before they can say anything else and exit the cabin.