Where we always will be

Wilbur has been searching everywhere for Tommy, He went down every street, went in the library and was currently knocking on Tubbo’s door. He’s hoping that the kid was smart and just stayed with people he knew. 

    His mother opens it, Wilbur fiddles with his hat nervously. “Sorry to bother, I was wondering if Tommy ended up with you all. I lost him earlier and this is the last place I could think of.” 

    “Mary brought him over to me earlier, explained that he had lost you in the crowd. He ran off again when I was busy,” she pauses to shout over her shoulder. “Toby dear? Is Tommy with you?” 

    They hear a muffled “no” and she turns back to Wilbur with a pitying look. “I’m sorry Wilbur, I hope you find him. Toby said he left to find you…” He trails off, holding the door with one hand.

    “That’s alright, I’ll see if he made it home since I’ve been out. Thank you Mrs. Smith.” 

The air was cold enough that Wilbur’s breath was visible when he spoke. If Tommy was alone out here in the cold he’d be very mad at himself. 

    Though, he supposes it’s all that strangers fault. He could’ve just pocketed the money, left the wallet in the alley and been on his way with Tommy by his side. He hated it when people acted like he couldn’t take care of his brothers. Did they think he wanted to steal? Everything he does is for Techno and Tommy, and yet people still think he’s not enough. 

    His pity party is interrupted by seeing a man carrying a kid into the woods. Wilbur gets closer to investigate. “And then he-” he hears a small voice, not just any voice but definitely Tommy’s voice. Now to go see why the hell the man who separated them was the one carrying his kid. 

    “What the hell?” Wilbur steps in front of them, making Tommy stop his story. Wilbur knows he should be happy but right now he just sees red. “Why do you have my goddamn brother? What’d you do to him? Put him down.” 

    He knows he probably seems pretty disoriented but there’s a lot going on here, he isn’t quite sure what he wants to demand first.

    “I saw someone hurting him in the alley, he passed out. I kept him till he woke up then we agreed I’d carry him back if I could talk to his brothers about this.” Wilbur can’t take the guilt anymore. He steps forward and grabs the boy from Phil.

    Hearing Tommy whimper at being moved so suddenly makes the anger inside Wilbur leave his body almost instantly. What the hell happened to him? What would’ve happened if no one had stepped in? He feels sick thinking about it and holds the boy even closer to him. He turns to the side and keeps hugging the boy, as if protecting him from Phil. 

    “Alright, I can respect that. Talk. Then don’t come back here again.” He bites. 

    “Wilbur, please be nice, he saved me.” Tommy murmurs, Wilbur could tell he was just as tired as he was. With how abnormally hard it was to keep supporting Tommy’s weight, he realizes he must be getting tired too. “He’s good Wil, I’m fine. Please stop.” 

    Techno must have heard the commotion because the brunette approached them almost silently. Wilbur wasn’t quite sure where his brother learned to tread that carefully through a place covered with dead brown leaves everywhere. Especially at night. 

    The allusive sibling puts a hand on Tommy’s shoulder and shares a look with Wilbur, before slowly tilting his head at Phil. “What’s going on here?” He says very evenly.