Chapter 1 - "The Break-up"

GEN'S MY GIRLFRIEND SINCE A COUPLE OF YEARS. It feels like we've always been together.

Well, at least since the first year in high school, I mean officially.

I mean I've always knew that Gen likes me, but there wasn't an actual moment when I've asked her to be my girlfriend. One day we just already were boyfriend and girlfriend. But I guess that's how it happens with the perfect high school couples.

But we're far from a perfect couple. Maybe people at school consider us this way, but they don't know everything. The truth is that we've broken up a couple of times but more than it's known at school. I'm not the really jealous type of guy, but when it comes to Gen, she's jealous enough for both of us. But at the same time she likes to play with people, that's the main reason of almost any of our break-ups.

She likes to toy with people's emotions if it means getting her way. I like and hate this at the same time. She's flirting with other boys in front of my eyes that makes me pissed. But not because I'm jealous, as I said I'm not jealousy, but because she's unashamed of the fact I'm there.

I know she flirts constantly because she's trying to keep her reputation, but I want to save my reputation too and I don't do that.

Anyways, it's nobody's business how much times we've broken up, right? Every person has their own personal life.

But when you are the captain of the lacrosse team, your personal life becomes not that personal.

So I just try to make us look that we're the perfect couple so anyone not to meddle in our own business. Because when something happens between us, rumors spread all over the school and many of them are too exaggerated . So I prefer us to look like we're fine all of the time.

But a couple of public arguments are a good way to keep people's attention as much as we need. I mean, our classmates need a little shove sometimes just not to forget which is the golden high school couple of our class.

I keep this reputation because it's safest. People respect you, and I don't like not to be respected.

My phone buzzes but I don't pay attention.

A second buzz, a third one...

Okay, I need to see who it is, even that I know it's Gen.

When she writes me messages she always sends what she wants to say in a series of texts, not as one long message. That really drives me crazy. Why she just can't write everything and send it at once and if she has missed something then to write another message.

I grab my phone and unlock it.

Yes, it's Gen.

The message says that she needs to see me NOW.

Ugh. I hesitate about my answer because there is over 80% possibility that it's not that of a big deal. Gen always says that and when I go to her house it turns out something insignificant. And besides I have plans with Gabe and Darrell to go to the gym. The school year is almost here and we need to get back in shape. As a captain in junior year, I have plans to take the team to a new level and yes, I mean the first place of the national championship. We haven't won the finals since the year my fat... since Grant Kavinsky graduated.

As I think, my phone starts to vibrate in my hand:

-Why did you just seen my message? – I hear Gen's already upset on the other side of the phone.

Typical Genevieve.

- Hey to you, too. – I roll my eyes.

Thank God that she can't see me. Gen hates when I do this.