Chapter 10 - An unexpected day

© Sandra Corton 2015

Chapter 10 - An unexpected day

Nate's POV

I knew I needed to calm the fuck down but my morning was going to hell faster than I could anticipate. Finding Kitty gone from the office when I got there only enraged me more. I looked at the text she sent me and ground my teeth together.

Seeing that Fenwick fucking louse ready to hurt her had me all kind of rage filled. I had wanted him dead in that moment. My mind had given me all kinds of fitting scenarios in how to achieve it too.

A darkness had taken hold of me then. Knowing he wanted to hurt Kitty brought out the vindictive beast in me. He would suffer from what he had intended to do and my fists wanted to be the ones causing him pain.

I needed her here right now! She was always my voice of reason, the one person that saw me and knew how to deal with me. The fact that she was gone ate through me like burning acid. My anger became irrational and turned on Kitty. How dare she just up and leave me when I had a desperate need to know that she was alright!

I stormed out of my office then. I had to know where she was and what the hell was going on! I knew Nancy would know so I headed straight for her desk. She seemed a little shocked by the bleak expression on my face but I couldn't contain it.

"Do you know where Adelaide went?" My voice came out rough, unreasonable and demanding which only got a raised eyebrow from Nancy. This was why I hired her, she was unflappable in stressful situations.

"Yes of course." Nancy told me.

I was on the edge of totally losing my temper that Nancy was keeping information to herself. Nobody in this office had ever seen the total fury that could take over me but they were about to. That moment was broken when I heard her voice.

"Nate." Kitty's voice was shaking and sad, making my protective side arc up.

I turned to see tears rolling down her cheeks as she clutched desperately at something. When I realised it was the jewellery box I made her, I wanted to throw my seething anger at her. I couldn't though, not when she was crying so damn hard. Knowing she had gone to that dicks apartment alone made me both in awe, baffled as well as equally full of rage.

A sob escaped her and even though I knew everyone was watching us, I went to her. She hugged her jewellery box tightly until I approached her. Then her fingers began trembling and I thought the overflowing box would fall from her fingers.

"Nate." My name dropped from those gorgeous lips of hers again and I was done for.

"What have you been doing Kitty?" I asked as I grasped the box and pulled it gently from her to rest on a nearby table.

"I wanted...wanted my necklace." Her words came out in a shuddering rush.

"Why didn't you wait for me?" I asked as I held my arms open to her and she practically fell into them. I cuddled her closer and don't give a fuck who was watching.

"I didn't...she shouldn't have been there. She wouldn't give them back." She stuttered the words through more tears as I tried to understand her confusing statement.

"What didn't she return?" I looked at her seriously as I gently wiped the tears from her eyes.

"She's got my special ones. The ones you had made special." She told me and something inside of me began to burn with a fierce blackness.

"The set for your eighteenth?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Y-yes, she was wearing them."

She threw her arms around me and cried so hard that all I could do was hug her. My thunderous anger though was a raging blaze of dark. They had riled up the wrong person and now they were going to get a comeuppance that neither of them would expect.