Running. Part 1.

The reason I run is because it simple feels good. The rushing breeze against my skin makes me feel alive.
My name is Pierre. I grew up in a small house. It was a 10 by 8 foot hut. The city was called, Palayan City. Very close to the Philippines. The average temperature year round is 92 degrees Fahrenheit. And I ran.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I was 7 when I started running. The normal kids would play tic tac toe outside in the dirt because it was so hot. I ran. I ran all the way to the small gift shop on the corner. If I came, the old man who worked there would give me a dime, for my family who was in a great need. We saved up $20, just enough to get water for my family of 5. But then tragic struck and someone stole our jar. Then I had to start from the beginning again.
Every 2 weeks, five families get the chance to take a bus trip to the water well. Finally after we got that cash, my whole family went. Just not me. They said I should watch the dogs. I didn't mind, actually. I enjoy watching the dogs, and spending time with the next door gift shop owner.
The bus left around 5am, and then comes home usually around 4pm. The water well is about a 6 hour drive. I couldn't wait for them to come home, so we could all have a nice dinner, I made for them while they were gone. Unfortunately the bus didn't arrive. It never arrived. I slept over at my friends house that night because my parents still weren't home yet. Then as I lay wide awake, and young patrol officer came knocking on the door, and asked for me. I came to the door, quizzical. Had no idea what was going on. He stated to me, the bus that had been carrying my whole family, including a bunch of other families had gone into a terrible car crash, and had blown up. No survivors.
I heard that word "no survivors", once by the patrol officer. I repeated it 1000 times in my head. And that's when I ran.