Only A Memory

"I'm going to make it into the Military Police, {Name}! Someday, when that happens, I'll take you with me! We can live together, be married, be happy! Just like we always wanted! I will serve the King, and you can open up that flower shop!"

That was the plan. You and Marco had this vision before you since childhood. Marco always looked at you with kind, loving eyes. You were only four years old when you met the boy who would become the love of your life. You visited each other every day and played out in the backyard.

At the age of seven, he pinned you down to the ground as you playfully wrestled with each other and sweetly kissed your lips. And to think you were inseparable before. You stayed glued to his hips at all times possible. Every time you hurt, he was there to kiss at your wounds. Whenever you cried, he cried with you and held you in a tight, but gentle embrace. Even at such a young age, he knew you were too special to let go. He knew he loved you.

On your ninth birthday, he asked his mother for a couple rings: one for you and the other for himself. So she looked at some plain bands she had at the house. It was then that he proposed to you, and it was so innocent. His mother smiled and giggled to herself watching the sweet scene unfold. And you said yes, putting the ring on a silver chain until you were able to fit it on your finger. You refused to take off the piece of jewelry so you'd always have a piece of Marco with you, even when he wasn't by your side.

Three years had passed, and you both had made it into the training unit. You arrived hand-in-hand, both of you wearing your rings on chains around your necks. This was the start of the journey of your future life with the proud, passionate soon-to-be member of the Military Police. You watched him work hard the entire time. Every training session, every book lesson, even during the designated meal times, you watched over him. A smile etched on your face when you saw how happy he looked. It made your heart swell with warmth seeing him this way, seeing him in a new light. During the night, he would often sneak you away to look at the stars.

"I can't believe this is really happening... It's all going by so fast... I can't believe it's been three years already..." You turn on your side and look at Marco's side profile, smiling.

His head turns to the side, locking his gentle eyes on yours. "It only means we'll be in the Interior faster... we can finally start our own lives together, {Name...} I'll make it into the top ten. I'll serve the King. Everything we've wished for is happening soon." A small smile curved on his lips and he looks down at his chest, gripping the ring hanging off of the metal chain. "... And soon, you'll be my bride..." His eyes went back up to your blushing face and your heart pounded. You could feel his heart through as you placed your hand on his chest. He watched as your eyes beamed with happiness, glistening in the moonlight. "I love you so much, {Name.}" His hand resting on your soft cheek, pulling your face closer to him. His warm lips pressed against your cool skin.

"I love you too, Marco. I want to stay with you forever. No matter what happens, I'll always be here." You say softly in his ear, the warmth of your breath tickling his ear and neck. Soon the sweet kisses and touches, become hot and passionate. That was the night you gave yourself, your entire being to Marco. Your bodies and souls connected and became one for the first time. Pure bliss and happiness radiated from you.

~~

Words nor sounds could emit from your chapped lips. Eyes widened and blank, fully taking in the sight before you, but not truly acknowledging the truth.

"Someone... someone must have seen..." Jean started to say. Turning around and stepping forward, looking in multiple directions for anyone who could have possibly seen the scene unfold.

Why am I thinking of all of this... this... this can't be happening... no. We were supposed to... to...

"... he was a member of the 104th Cadet Corp...Captain of Squad 19, Marco Bodt."

The memories of your beloved flashed through your mind as he lay there motionless, breathless. His arm and half of his face removed gruesomely. His hope-filled eye, now dimmed and lifeless. Your eyes trailed down to his clenched hand and you fell to your knees. Hot tears stained your cheeks as you saw what was grasped in his hand. A small, broken silver chain hung loosely from his grip. A hand gently caressed your back, causing you to snap your attention away from the horror that lay in front of you.

"{Y/N...}" Jean spoke to you, sorrow filled in his eyes. His voice cracking. Not only did he just discover the body of his best friend, but his best friend's fiance is crumbling right in front of him. He clenched his trembling jaw and knelt down, tightly embracing you from behind. Finally, a sound escaped your lips. Unstable and broken sobs cried out from your throat. It was so hard to believe, but feeling the pain this caused you felt too real for it to be but a horrifying dream. Your arm reached out and grabbed the lifeless hand, squeezing it tightly. Your fingers wriggled into his palm and slipped the ring from his hand, kissing his hand before letting it drop back onto his chest. One hand gripped the ring tightly, and the other held onto Jean's arms wrapped around the center of your torso.

"Jean... I-- I..." you said trembling still. In response he pulled you closer.

"We should get up now. It's not good to linger around here too long, I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..."

You slightly bobbed your head up and down, taking one final look at your lover's face. Your eyes clenched shut as you lift your arms, moving them behind your neck. Slowly, you undo your chain, removing the ring he had given you all those years ago to slip onto your finger. It's finally a perfect fit, and Marco's ring replaces its spot. You strung the chain back around your neck and clasped it, letting the ring rest against your chest in your tight grip. "...Okay..."

Jean released his hold, and instead lightly grabbed onto your hand. "Everything will be okay, {Y/N.} I promise, I'll be here for you... for Marco..." the two of you start to walk away, your hand in his. He silently vowed to Marco that he would take care of you for him.

Eventually, only silent tears slid down your face. You have to remain strong for him. It's what Marco would have wanted of you. To keep living, to keep pushing forward, to fight. All you can do now is live life to the fullest for him. All you can do now is think of the precious memories you shared with him, and keep the love the two of you shared in your heart. His spirit forever with you.