Ch 2: Welcome To The Family (Edited)

"Infernal has appeared in Taikto-ku, Torigoe District." Akitaru informs Maki and Shinra once they come in. "The site of the fire is a small factory."

"Captain" "Unpowered" "Akitaru Obi"

"The person who turned inferno is the factory manager's wife." I add.

"1st Lieutenant" "3rd-Generation Pyrokinetic" "Rona Obi"

Iris gives a small pray for a save mission.

"Sister" "Unpowered" "Iris"

Hinawa stands from the bench, pushing his glasses up.

"2nd Lieutenant" "2nd-Generation Pyrokinetic" "Takehisa Hinawa"

"We'll work with Squad 4 of the Fire Defense Agency's Ueno Regional HQ to put her to rest and stamp things out." I helped explain, receiving a nod of acknowledgment from Maki.

"1st Class Fire Soldier" "2nd-Generation Pyrokinetic" "Maki Oze"

"So, let's hurry up and get to the Matchbox." Akitaru orders, just as Shinra throws his jacket on since he was the last to get dressed.

"2nd Class Fire Soldier" "3rd-Generation Pyrokinetic" "Shinra Kusakabe"

We all gathered in Matchbox with Hinawa driving and me in the passage seat, leaving the others in the back. I smile fondly at how Akitaru pats Shinra's head for support. It was obvious by the kid's sharky grin that he was nervous for his first real mission but like my husband said it's his chance to be a hero.

"Don't go getting baby fever over there, we already have child running in the halls." Hinawa said, keeping his eyes on the road. "And it ain't Shinra."

"Are you calling me an annoying tiny tod!?" I growled, reaching to take my seat belt off until he shoves a GPS in my face.

"Rona, please read the directions for me. You're the only one who's good at it."

"Oh okay." I happily took it from him as the four in the back sweatdrop at our interaction.

~Skip to the Factory Fire~

After getting the details on what was happening with the internal from Squad 4, and Iris consoling the factory owner about bringing mercy to his wife's soul, we entered the building. Flames were licking every angle of the room as a wall of fire blocked us from going any farther.

"This place must have been very important to the wife." Iris said, noting how fierce the flames grew, almost like they were protecting the place instead of burning it.

I looked behind me to see Shinra in a daze, while his breath was becoming heavy. I felt worried for him knowing that the reports said his mother and brother died in a fire and being here must be sending him back to that moment. Maki and I rushed to his side once he collapsed onto his knees.

"Shinra are you alright?" We asked, Maki places her hand on his helmet hat and I lightly tap his face trying to get him back to the real world.

"Huh?" The light was peeking into his dull stare. "I'm.."

"I thought you were going to be a hero." Akitaru said, placing a firm yet comforting hand on the kid's shoulder. "Fire Soldiers do not leave their comrades behind and run away. When one of us delays, then we're all delayed."

I pull Shinra's face towards me to give him a soft smile, "Shinra do you see these luminous blue stripes on our bodies?" I asked pointing to bands on my jacket sleeve as he nods slowly. "As cheesy as it is, these are the ties that bind friends together in the world of flame and smoke. Never break them."