Chapter 16: Emotions Bared

I ran till I could feel another presence behind me. Great. I keep running, cutting through the the trees trying to lose them but they seem to effortlessly keep pace. I'd rather be alone right now, I don't want to talk. I stop dead and roundhouse kick my pursuer in the gut, causing him to fly back and I crumple to the ground winded and in pain as well. Damnit, I forget that bond makes us feel each other's pains.

"It's going to be alright." He groaned, gaining his wind back.

"No! No it's not. I was expecting to be up against one pack but not a full out war!" I shout back.

"You won't be alone. You'll have all of them... and me. Running away from us, from everything, won't make it stop, it won't change who you are. I know you're stressed and confused but you can't give up on your pack or yourself. They all need you."

"She should have chosen someone else's body. I'm literally being torn apart. I have my own feelings for the mate I had chosen, and my predestined bond with you tearing me the other way. I also have a literal battle between good and evil waging in my soul. And now it's my need for revenge and the fear for my life. I dought you would fare any better in my shoes."

"You're right, I don't know how I would handle it either. But I know running won't stop it. What happened to the fearless Wildcat who dared to bite a King?"

I chuckled despite my heavy heart. He's right. Where did she go? I stay silent except for the quite sobs. Before I can protest, his arms are around me and his scent enters my nose, the intoxicating smell of lavender and lemon. Even though he's said so many things that broke me and has been a thorn in my side all this time, I felt comfort in his embrace. "You're not alone Skylar. We are all ready to fight this. We won't abandon you, so don't abandon us."

My wolf is wearing a big goofy grin and doe-eyed expression as if she's on cloud nine. I sink my head into the crook of his neck, my tears slowing down to a trickle. The warmth of his arms are almost too much to resist but deep down I know I can't do this.  But Chris has a mate now, would he really pick me over her? Should I just give in and accept him or go for the one I love, the one I have loved since I was young?

____________(Cole's POV)__________

I held her till her trembling stopped. She looks so lost and confused and I hear my wolf let out an empathetic whimper. All at once I feel my mind run through what Sebastian had said. Maybe our statuses aren't meant to hold us back. Maybe I can live with her, grow with her, and love her.

I felt my breath hitch as her head snuggled into the crook of my neck. Have I really fallen for this hot-tempered, ill-mannered little wildcat? When did she start sinking her claws into my heart, I wonder?  All I know is with her my heart feels like it is floating on a warm mist. It's a feeling I've become addicted to.

"Skylar?"

___________(Skylar's POV)_________

I can feel his grip loosen as he says my name and I draw back to look at him.

Just as I look up at him, his hand clasped my chin and his lips meet mine. I felt a wave of electricity wash over me and I feel my temperature rising. What is he doing? I want to resist, to push him away but my arms won't work. All of a sudden they feel like pudy and my wolf is swooning. Is this what a bonded kiss feels like? This is nothing like that day in the throne room, no spite but only warmth. There is so much energy building up that my mind is going blank.

The kiss was brief, him pulling away from me with an amused look. My lips feel cold from the brief reprieve, causing a small ache. "I have fallen for you, despite my better judgement." He said the last part with a teasing grin.

"Fallen for me? Since when? You hate my guts. Did you eat something weird? Maybe a fever?"

He rests his forehead against mine. "I've fallen for your outspokenness. You're never afraid to oppose me or put me in my place. I adore your stubbornness and temper."

He doesn't feel warm, maybe he hit his head when he fell? Or is he joking, trying to get a rise out of me? "Cole, please stop joking. This kind of joke isn't fair, infact it's cruel." I mutter in spite of my fluttering heart. It sounds as though a hummingbird has made its home in my chest.

"Do I look like I'm joking, Skylar?" His voice is like sweet honey, giving me chills. He's serious.

I didn't think it was possible for my heart to beat any faster than it already was yet here it is, as though it will explode from my chest any second. Why, why is my heart defying me so? "Cole, please stop. I can't do this. My heart is loyal to Chris." I lied and it felt like my heart constricted. Damnit, what has he done to me?

My wolf glared at me. 'Quit lying to yourself. He has a mate now and so do you, let him go. Get over it.'

No. I can't. Stop trying to make this happen. It never will.

His lips brush against mine and I feel my breath hitch in my throat. "I love you Skylar." They then connect with mine, this time stronger and more desperate, and once again I feel the electricity spread, reaching my core and lighting a fire. My brain feels as though it is being robbed of oxygen. By the Goddess, I can't do this.

Clear specks fill my vision as I regain my strength and I finally manage to push him away. "I don't love you."

I can make out the hurt and anger in his eyes and I feel my heart constrict even tighter. "Don't you see, he has a mate of his own now? Don't you think you can grow to love me, just like I grew to love you?"

"I-" The sounds of fighting and screaming erupt from the direction of the camp, interrupting my thoughts. Shit, Devon! My heart sinks as the two of us rush back to them. I pray Devon did as I told him.

I shift, my clothes shredding and tearing from my body. Cole does the same, the two of us speeding to the clearing.

As we near the edge of the clearing I can make out a fury of snarling jaws and tussling bodies. Without thinking I barrel out into the field, my eyes scanning for my brother.

My eyes freeze on his scared features poking out from inside a tent. What is he doing, I told him to run? I dodge and weave my way through the battlefield making my way to him. "Skylar, what are you doing?" Cole yells after me as I leap over and under masses of flailing bodies.

Then it hits me, a hard thump to the chest, and my world turns upside down.