JENNIE

I heave a sigh of relief as we exit Jisoo's room.

The tension was so thick that the emotions almost chocked me to death.

Jisoo practically tackled Taehyung the moment she saw him, bawling her eyes out. I stood there, holding my breath, half-expecting him to yeet her across the room for the audacity of touching him. But no, he went all softie mode, holding her while she sobbed into his shirt, exchanging some secret language that only they understood, not that I was trying to listening. The only thing I could do was awkwardly watch the soap opera, feeling utterly useless and neglected, silently praying that her mascara was waterproof and his shirt was stain-resistant. She finally pulled back and dabbed her eyes with the napkin that he offered.

Their whispered conversation might as well have been in code for all I could decipher. When the drama was finally over and her attention landed on me, she asked me for the chocolates and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes so bad.

This Taehyung guy seems dead set on sabotaging my tranquil home life and now, my only friendship too. When we are dismissed by the makeup artist for some final touch-ups, I've never been so happy to be kicked out. Taehyung holds the door open like he's auditioning for a gentleman's club, and then he even offers his arm for me to hold. We walk back in awkward silence. As we near my father and Uncle Do-In, I see them exchange glances with a knowing smirk. I lean in and whisper, "Why do I feel like they're talking about us?"

"I am quite sure they are"

"Their conversations never fail to surprise me. How do they always find something to talk about?"

"You don't need a significant reason to converse with your friend."

I gaze up at him as he responds, his expression devoid of any emotion. The words fall off his lips so matter-of-factly, as though the concept of a deep bond is second nature to him. It makes me wonder if perhaps I misjudged him; maybe he isn't so dreadful and insufferable as I thought.

I glance downward, noticing him slowing his pace to match mine - a warm gesture from someone like him. But then again, perhaps I'm simply imagining things or maybe I'm the only one who perceives him as unapproachable. Perhaps aside from his involvement in these gatherings and his quiet and dark home, he leads a totally different life, one filled with 'friends' and women and fun. I look around as the people stare and whisper, I can feel the attention he is gathering. Like they are moths to the flame and he is holding the matches.

"What are you thinking of, Ms. Kim?" I snap out of my thoughts at his voice, so deep, it reminds me of the nearby ocean.

"Nothing much," I awkwardly answer, trying to look straight ahead, but failing miserably. I risk a glance at him. He looks at me like he knows it's not true and I can't help but blurt out nonsense.

"Well, I was thinking about how insufferably arrogant and mean you are."

He laughs quietly, "I don't believe you."

"And why is that?"

"I may have said some things to provoke you, but not enough for you to hate me."

"I do hate you, I hate you very much."

"And yet, you're holding my arm," he points out, and I step away immediately, feeling a rush of embarrassment flood my cheeks. He pauses, looking at me with that infuriatingly amused expression, his lips twitching as if he's struggling not to laugh.

By the time I have a chance to snap back, we are immediately interrupted by a shrill voice, "Vvvv~".

I turn around to see Sana making her way towards us, a big bright pink glittery gown engulfing her form. She sparkles her way in front of us, looking at Taehyung like she has never been so delighted in all her life. It's been a while since I've seen her, and although I couldn't really look properly at Jisoo before, it was enough for me to draw out the distinct line between the both of them. How is it that two people who were born under the same roof, shared the same parents, had the same resources but grew up to be so different from each other? 

Sana was pale and loud in every way, from the color of her skin to the way she dressed to the company that she kept.  She had a very disgusting habit of judging others. Gossiping and backbiting was usually the main topic of her conversations. On the other hand, Jisoo, kind, warm, and polite in every way. She was the epitome of a candle, eager to give others light. She never gave up on being my friend, no matter how long I was away.

"Cousin!" Sana eyes me, "The wedding's about to start; they were calling you to get your umm-guitar ready." She pushes her way past me and stands beside Taehyung looking at him with stars in her eyes. I almost scoff as Taehyung quickly hides his smile and just shoves his hands in his pockets looking straight ahead.

"Excuse me then," I say, and he nods at me before I leave the duo behind and walk to the backstage, to get my instrument ready.