Part IV

Douxie was thrown back by the blast.  He shielded his face as the impact shattered the the glass window, sending shards scattering across the floor.  Screams echoed through the smokey air as people suffered the same fate.  Flames plumed from what remained of the building.

The wizard coughed as he chocked on the air.  The cuts along his arms and face stung as soot fell into them.  He winced, and stumbled to his feet.  Fireworks of white hot pain burst through his legs and spine.  With a grunt of agony, he collapsed back to the ground.

"Help, someone!  Anyone!" 

Douxie gritted his teeth through the pain.  His gauntlet hummed with magical energy, and he pulled himself to a standing position.  He clutched his right ribs, which he was sure he'd broken.

The wizard stumbled toward the voice.  As the smoke thinned, he saw Ted Evens stuck under an imploded wall.  The manager's handsome face was covered in blood and gore.  Panic and terror brimmed in his watery eyes.  "Please, someone!"

There were similar moans and cries for mercy throughout the wreckage.  Douxie limped over to Ted, whom was the closest.  "I'm here, Mr. Evans," he whispered.  "Don't worry.  I'm getting you out of this."

The wizard collapsed onto his knees and gently wrapped his arms around Ted's.  Then he started to drag him out from under the wall.  Ted let out a sickening gurgle as blood seeped from his mouth and stained Douxie's hands.  Douxie's eyes strayed to where Ted's legs were crooked and bending in ways they shouldn't.  

Once the two reached a safe distance, Douxie released him.  "It's going to be okay," Douxie promised.  His hands trembled.  "You're going to be alright."

Ted didn't respond.  Instead, his chest rose and fell with the steady rhythm of unconsciousness.  

From not too far off, Douxie could hear the sound of sirens and firetrucks.  Through the clouds of smoke, he could faintly see blue and red lights of police cars.  

Douxie scanned the ruins of the building.  His heart ached to help all these people, but he knew that he had to protect Nari.  If his suspicion was right, she was in danger now more than ever.

He soothed his raging thoughts and conspiracies.  Letting out a long exhale, he raised his left hand and allowed the tingling magical energy to grow.  Before long, a gateway opened up in front of him.  He cast one last glance around, hoping no one was conscious enough to see him, then vanished through.

...

"Nari!"  Douxie slammed on the door.  "Nari!  Are you alright?"

The door creaked open, and the demigoddess poked her face to greet him.  "Why yes," she stated.  "You look dreadful.  What happened?"

"There was an explosion," he explained, slipping inside.  As soon as she closed the door, he quickly closed his eyes and checked the security connection.  His mind sensed it was strong.  He relaxed a bit.

"What kind?" Nari asked.  Her pointed ears drooped, and she wilted.  "You don't think..."

Douxie nodded weakly.  "I do."

"But why now?" she cried.  "We've been in hiding for weeks!"

"I don't know," Douxie sighed.  "All I know is that I'll need to do some investigating."

Nari closed her eyes.  A light spring breeze whistled through the complex.  She hummed a soft melody, and she began to hover off of the floor.  A haze of green and purple magic clouded her from view.  After a few seconds, she retreated back to the floor.

"I checked the sight," she explained.  "There were only two deaths."

"Deaths?" Douxie chocked on the word.

"Yes," she whispered.  "And many more souls are fading."

Douxie turned and punched the wall.  He didn't care about the throbbing ripples of pain it sent down his spine.  

The nature creature hesitantly hopped closer.  She gently ran a hand down his injured side.

"Watch it!" he protested, but regretted the statement.

She didn't answer.  Instead, Nari began to hum once more.  A glow encircled her hand, and the magic transferred into Douxie's broken bones.  He winced as prickles of pain popped through him.  A few seconds later, the agony vanished.  

Nari drew back, and the wizard hesitantly placed a hand along his ribs.  They were broken no more.  When he patted his face, his cuts were gone.

"Oh, Nari...," he trailed off.  "Thank you."

Nari sighed.  "It's the least I can do."

"By Excalibur, what happened to you?" Archie flew into the room.  His black ears pricked.

"Bellroc attacked Douxie's civilian workplace," Nari explained.

Archie frowned.  "That's impossible.  They were nowhere to be seen.  None of the order was.  We cannot assume anything until we have proof."

"Proof?" Douxie huffed.  "I think I have plenty!"

"I checked the place out," the familiar explained.  "The police and officers deemed it as a chemical explosion in the drycleaner place next door.  Both of the stores were destroyed, so that's most likely what happened."

"But--"

"Don't you but me," Archie snapped at Douxie.  "It was a human accident.  No more.  End of discussion."

With that, Archie shot out of the room.  Douxie frowned.  

The demigoddess wilted.  "Perhaps he's right," Nari shrugged.  "This may all be a coincidence.  If the order is really here, why would they have attacked your workplace?"

She didn't wait for him to respond.  She wrapped her borrowed human jacket tighter as she hurried away.

Douxie couldn't help but disagree.  Maybe they didn't believe him, but the wizard was certain.

The Arcane Order knew they were in New York City.