Prologue

"Why are you not answering. . ?" I whisper to myself worryingly. The soft roar of applause just beyond the stairs leading to the stage caught my ears. I slowly brought my face up, listening as a host began thanking the contestant for their wonderful performance.

A dance routine performed by a spunky, young 2nd year. She waved happily, stepping down the steps I was standing anxiously on. An acoustic guitar was slung around my shoulder, I couldn't stop my stupid fingers from messing with the strap, and it grew so repetitive that the strap actually grew warm.

The 2nd year student greeted me as she came down, giving a quick good luck and a friendly thumbs up as she disappeared backstage with the rest of the contestants. Man, I didn't know how lonely being the last contestant was until I was finally here.

"And the last contestant for Yuuei's yearly talent show, one of our lovely 3rd years who's no stranger to singing in the spotlight!"

The static microphone the announcer spoke from startled me. I could just feel the anxiety dancing around my chest as butterflies swarmed my stomach. I took one last glance at my phone.

He wasn't replying.

Why wasn't he replying?

Maybe he's already here, he said he'd be in the front row watching me.

"We introduce, Kyoka Jirou! From Class 3A!"

The announcer exclaimed with enthusiasm. I gave a light curse to myself, slipping my phone into my back pocket and tramping up the green, wooden stairs. The lights from the stage initially blinded me, it felt ethereal and hazy, like a lucid, fever dream that I was currently living in.

I gave a sheepish smile and bashful wave to the students below and the judges before me.

"Alright Kyoka, we'd love to hear what you have for us," one of the judges spoke with sincerity.

I gave a curt nod with a shy smile, I noticed Momo within the crowd with the rest of the girls, they seemed to still be clapping and cheering even though I hadn't even sung yet. With a light snort I lowered the microphone to my height, swallowing the rest of my fears and blowing a nervous breath.

I took a second to glance around the crowd, starting from the front, then scanning the middle and finally all the back rows.

He wasn't here.

If he were, I'd catch his gorgeous smile in a heartbeat.

Taking another breath, I sent out a single strum, finding my inner tune before starting with my song. My words came out soft and gentle, something my friends were surprised by.

They expected an upbeat rock song, a song that'd take the school by storm, a song that'd tear any house down; a song that defined me, Kyoka Jirou.

But this song wasn't for me.

It was a song I wrote for him.

And yet, he wasn't here to see it.

I remember the crowd looking up at me with intrigued eyes and curious expressions. My words, holding a peaceful, loving drawl to them. I remember the judges staring with surprise as I brought my lyrics to the next chorus.

It was supposed to be sweet, positive and loving. Exactly how he was.

So why did it sound sad?

I glanced back through the crowd, reaching the bridge of my song I felt my face grow unexpectedly warm. I wanted to cry.

I held it in though.

My friends gazed at me with uncertainty. I knew what they were thinking. They were wondering why I looked so sad despite my lyrics sounding so cheerful. It gave an odd, melancholy feel to the whole performance, like missed opportunities or temporary happiness. They were wondering who the song was about.