02. gone

02. gone [angst]

it had been exactly one month since hinata and kageyama broke up

kageyama had spent every day thinking of the orange-haired boy. even if he tried to forget — even if he tried to make the pain go away — thoughts of him would always came back. all of the memories they'd shared: the soft kisses in the club room, walking home together under the stars, the unplanned dates — none of them ever left kageyama's mind, making the process even more painful.

he had an especially hard time pushing out the memories of hinata himself: his blinding smile, the sound of his voice whenever the two were alone, the softness of his hair, and how he had to tippy toe to reach kageyama's lips. hell, he even missed the bad parts, like his stubborn attitude and constant complaining. kageyama would walk on glass just to have one more petty argument with hinata.

the two didn't end on a particularly bad note. hinata loved kageyama just as much as kageyama loved him. they didn't argue so frequently that the relationship had become unhealthy. they just somehow grew apart.

"i think we should take a break," hinata had stated one day as the two were sitting on a park bench.

"w-what?" was all kageyama could spit out, his body frozen in shock.

"i think we both need time and space to do our own things. neither of us have time for each other anymore, we're both so busy that we can barely hold a conversation."

as much as kageyama didn't want to believe hinata, what he was saying was true.

after graduating karasuno, hinata found opportunities outside of miyagi, and kageyama began to focus more on his own interests. the two always seemed to be busy — too busy to maintain their relationship. kageyama felt the distance growing between them, but he didn't want to bother hinata about it since he was already dealing with enough. however, the distance stayed there, growing bigger and bigger with each passing day.

paragraphs of "i love you" texts turned into short messages. dates turned into ten-minute facetime calls. "let's hang out" turned into "i'm busy right now, maybe next time."

hinata slowly became a stranger to kageyama, and vice versa.

"but i love you."

hinata lowered his head so that he'd avoid kageyama's gaze.

"i love you too. more than anything. but we can't stay like this."

kageyama didn't know what to do except pull hinata into his chest. he could feel hinata trembling as the shorter sobbed into his sweatshirt, leaving tear stains in the thick fabric.

kageyama felt his heart rip to shreds as he gradually processed the situation. hinata had just broken up with him. hinata was no longer his. he felt his throat close up at the mere thought of it, and soon enough, he found himself crying as well.

the two stayed on the park bench holding each other for what seemed like forever. neither of them wanted to let go even though they knew they needed to eventually.

the sky was turning into a dark gray, rain threatening to pour down on their heads. thunder echoed in the distance as the two continued sobbing into each other's arms.

hinata pulled himself away from kageyama. he wiped his tears on the sleeve of his hoodie and continued staring down at his lap.

"i-i should probably go," he choked out, tears still falling from his puffy eyes. "it's going to rain soon. y-you should head home, too."

kageyama didn't want to leave. he wanted to stay here with hinata, holding onto him and listening to his voice. but he knew it would just hurt more if he did.

"y-yeah," kageyama replied, exhaling shakily.

hinata didn't dare to look up to meet kageyama's gaze. instead, he pulled his hood over his head and wiped his tears once again, rising from the bench.

"i-i'll see you around, then."

kageyama didn't know what hinata meant by that. was it appropriate for them to see each other ever again? did hinata want to see kageyama again? did hinata even want him in his life?

all of those questions were left unanswered, as kageyama looked up to see hinata gone, leaving him with nothing but a longing and broken heart and painful memories he'd never be able to forget.