Amira

"I.. can't.. breathe.." I wheezed. The hand around my neck only tightened once those words left my mouth.

"Amira, you look so cute why should I stop now?" crooned Luke ,"Didn't I warn you not to lie to me?". His emerald eyes seemed to shine brighter indicating anger, lust,and something else. With his other hand he ran his fingers through his hair and flicked me in the forehead.

"Stop... I.. faint.." Dark blotches were covering my vision. Any moment now, my knees will give up on me. The hand suddenly lifted and the air rushed backed into me. I gasped as the oxygen filled my lungs and it seems I get to live another day.

"You told me you were at the loft, reading, or writing or doing whatever nonsense you spend the day doing. Instead  you were out with that whore Rachel and random men in Central Park. You know I hate that slut. I own you. I don't like Rachel and  what if someone thinks  you were cheating on me with these losers? Are you trying to humiliate me?" snarled Luke and he suddenly gets close to me and whispers "Maybe punishing you doesn't work. Maybe I should call General Hospital and tell them the life support is too expensive. It's better to let her pass on to the next life not knowing her daughter has to sell her own life to allow her to breathe." Luke licks my ear and murmurs "It's up to you ."

Tears are threatening to roll down my face but I force myself to not cry. I won't let him have the satisfaction seeing me break down thinking he has me scared even though I am. I bit my tongue so hard that it bled. I've learned that pain keeps the tears away and keeps my thoughts clear. "I thought it was only to be half an hour. I swear I didn't know Rachel had given me an alcoholic drink and the time flew by. The guys weren't there to flirt but there to explore the city,I swear nothing happened. So please leave my mother alone." as I get on my knees and beg.

"Of course nothing happened, if something did would I let you off so lightly? I can do what I want wi-" his cellphone range and his eyes darkened. His ego makes him hate being interrupted especially in the middle of a rant. "What do you want Bartholomew? I'm in the middle of something. What's?! She's back? I thought I made myself clear?! The hell I-" he glares at me and hangs up. "I have to leave Amira, but I'll be back for dinner so just wait for me." He caresses my check and smirks when he sees me flinch.

Luke picks up his jacket and swiftly walks to the door and leaves with a slam. I collapsed on an ivory sofa, holding my face in my hands. How did my life turn to this? Only 5 months ago I graduated high school ready to start my adult life. But everything changed so fast. The day he stepped into that cafe and our eyes met. I thought I was staring at Prince Charming and the way he kept ordering me refills while sitting across me made me feel so special.

"Hey gorgeous, how many more coffees do I have to order for you before I get your number?" His eyes twinkled when he asked me that and my heart was beating so fast ,"I'm Luke Nightingale and you are?".

"Amira Li and thanks for the coffees. Are you new to this cafe? I come here a lot and I've never seen someone as charming as you?"I managed to stammer as I wrest my eyes away from staring at his gorgeous face.

"I'm new to this city and was looking for a place to relax and the reviews of this place on Yelp are quite good. " He sat down across me and it began. Every word had me tumbling more heads over heels into the arms of the devil. If I had known that it would turn my life into this, I would have emptied the coffee over his head and left that cafe forever.

My phone rings and I glance and see who the caller id is. Rachel. Ughh. I leave it ringing and sink into the deeps of the couch.

Finally my phone stops ringing and the voicemail line continues. "Amira, are you okay?! I've called you like ten times. Was that sack of shit mad at you? You have to stand up to him, don't let him control you. Amira please listen to me-" I disconnect the call. Rachel didn't understand anything, she's always been so carefree. She has no family, no ties, and she can never really understand what I'm feeling, what I'm chained to. I only spend time with Rachel to lose my mind to feel free, but it's just a distraction. My phone rings again. Not gain, I'm so tired.

CRASH. I chuck the phone into the sink and press the crusher. I watch as the metal contorts and with a loud screech as the crusher jams. I reach into the pantry and retrieve two tylenol pills, dry swallow them and fall asleep on the couch. The only times I feel alive is when I'm not.