Katherine Amelia Nichols

It's been a whole week since Clara and I found out that Collette was pregnant, and- I'm not going to sugarcoat it- my life wasn't going that well.

Jason and I are back to square one since I answered his phone, and it's just been really awkward.  Greyson's too young to pick up on the awkwardness, but that made it even more awkward for Jason and me.

I'm still really angry about the call, but I also am not one to be confrontational.  He didn't seem like he wanted to talk about it either, so we were at a stalemate.  I was angry with him about the call, and he wasn't going to explain himself.

I found a new job, though, so that's good.  I'm now a secretary at Wilson's Incorporated.

It wasn't my dream job, but it would work just fine.  My whole dream of being a reporter was a bit damaged from my last encounter with Mitchell Lapin.  Don't get me wrong, I still really wanted to be a reporter.  It's just that there aren't many open newscaster positions in the small town of Hampton, Iowa(not to be confused with The Hamptons in New York).

I sent a text to the group chat with Clara and Collette about meeting at the diner, and Collette immediately replied with 'sounds good.'

"I'm going to the diner with Clara and Collette," I shouted through the house. "I'll be back before you have to leave."

"'Kay," Jason shouted back.

I walked out to my car and got in, driving to the diner.

Maybe my feelings towards Jason weren't as simple as I'd tried to make them seem.  I was mad at him for the call and everything.  That was true.  But another part of me hated the newfound awkwardness between us.  A part of me just wanted everyday to be like Greyson's birthday party- full of love, us being like a happy family, and the night's full of passion.

I parked in the parking lot in front of the diner.

Collette was already sitting in a booth by the window, and she waved at me through the glass.  I smiled and waved back before going in and sitting across from her.

"No, Clara?" I questioned.  She shook her head.

"She said she had to work," Collette replied with a frown.

"Well, that sucks," I said.  She nodded in agreement.

"So, what's the problem?" Collette asked, taking a drink of her milkshake.  I gave her a look that said 'what?  I can't just want to talk with you guys.'  She gave me a look right back. "Out with it, Kate."

I sighed.

"Fine, I may be having a bit of a problem understanding my feelings towards Jason," I admitted, tentatively.

"Elaborate," she said.

The waiter came up and asked if I wanted anything.  I ordered a soda, and he walked off.  I turned back to Collette.

"I want to be mad at Jason about him not telling me about him possibly having to go to California for his job, and I am.  But, for some reason, I want to be with him and forget about all of those problems," I told her.  She frowned.

"You know I'm rooting for you and Jason to get together, but you can't build a relationship on ignored problems," Collette said.  I sighed.

"I know, but he isn't bringing it up," I said. "And you know I'm not one to confront people, so we're just sort of stuck in this awkward silence unless we're discussing Greyson and anything that applies to Greyson."

She frowned.

"It sounds to me like you need to talk to Jason about the call you accidentally answered.  Maybe Jason wasn't planning on going," Collette said.  I bit the inside of my cheek.