Rumor has it

Dakotas POV

"Will you hear me out, Dakota?" Siren whispered," or actually, will you hear my mother out?"

"I thought your mother wanted nothing to do with you?" I whispered back," isn't that what Ares said?"

Siren nodded," she agreed to come out and speak."

"Only if you will shut up and listen, Dakota." her accent was exotic, and though her words were harsh, all I felt was love from her.

I nodded.

"First of all, my name is Zavrina.".

And then she began her story.

"I was just a little girl, growing up in these very waters with my sisters. They all warned me, but I knew from the day I could speak that I was a Chosen One. I knew I was special, I was arrogant with it all."

I felt a smirk tease my lips, well I knew where Siren got it from.

She continued," By the time I was nineteen years of human age, I was blessed with six children. Beautiful boys, but none had the gift Zeus wanted. He was desperately concerned that I was no longer chosen-"

"Wouldn't he know if you were?"

Zavrina shook her head," No, Chosen Ones are picked out by something greater than even Zeus himself."

I nodded, and she continued.

" Zeus and I had given up. But that didn't stop our love. We raised our children with love and gave them power. Until we heard of Poseidon's first son a Gifted One. Much like Siren and yourself. He had this son with a village leaders wife. Something so impure that Zeus was disgusted with his brother. And soon became disgusted with me. His eyes began to wonder. I begged for my lovers return, my children missed their father. Zeus then made the rule that no God were to see their children. They couldn't see their demigod children. To Zeus, that's all my children were, they had no significance to him anymore. He left me for three years, then came back in secret. A few months later I'd realized I was with another child. Another son."

Zavrina looked and Siren and gave him a half smile.

" I was pregnant for seven months when I went into labor. Much too early, everyone was there to help, but everything went smoothly. It seemed like minutes later I held my newborn son in my arms. From looking into his thunder like eyes I knew he was different. He resembled his father in ways that nine of his brothers did, he resembled me in ways I never thought possible. He was a gifted one. A few years later, I had another son. Zeus had thought after out break through with Siren that I could make a whole army of Gifted Ones."

She shook her head in anger," He took my baby away from me and made him a weapon. I was so angry and filled with hatred that I turned to someone to help get my baby back. I turned to Poseidon. He did everything he could, and I fell in love with him too. I knew I shouldn't have. Zeus was very upset when id given birth to Poseidon's first daughter."

For the first time since his mother started the story, Siren spoke," you have to understand. I loved my baby sister so much." he opened and closed his mouth but was at lost for words. I noticed then that he was crying. "I never meant to hurt her, Mother."

I watched his face, hurt and desperate. My heart was breaking for him. I looked away as my eyes filled with tears.

"After four years, Zeus gave up and returned Siren to me. Siren would never leave his fathers bow behind. He took it everywhere. He never let anyone touch it. From the day Siren and Syria met. He did everything for her, he treated her like a princess."

I noticed his mother was crying too.

"Siren started to get in trouble at school. He couldn't control his anger, he'd hurt people. At first I didn't think much of it, until he started doing it for fun. They teamed up on Poseidon's gifted son. Preston would return to his mother crying. When We switched Siren from that school, I heard terrible things happened to Preston. Syria didn't get to see her other brother after that."

She narrowed her eyes at Siren," his violence continued and he shot a kid with his arrow and killed him. He said he didn't do it on purpose. But he vowed never to hurt anyone with it again. Those village kids, they came after Syria. To hurt Siren. The were hurting her, beating her."

Zavrina couldn't finish. I didn't think I wanted to hear the rest of this story. The painful look on their faces, the agony that they were sharing.

I looked at Siren and regretted what came out if my mouth," Did you kill her?"

He groaned and shook his head," They did it. They raped my baby sister, Dakota. For something I did. No one would hear the bad kids screams for help. I had to do it. I killed every single on of them. At first I just wanted them to hurt. But my anger got the best of me."

I let go of Sirens hand and moved away from him. This guy was pouring his heart and soul out to me, and I didn't want to hear anymore of it.

"Take me back," I said quietly." please."

"Dakota, you have to let me finish." he begged me with his eyes, and I just couldn't bring myself to say no.

"okay," I whispered.

He swallowed hard," I didn't hurt anyone till after. I swear. I had to bring my sister home. Both of us bruised up and bloody. Me from trying to get them off of her without hurting them. I'm a man of my word. And her, from kicking and resisting. The shock was too much. And she was so fragile. She died in my arms in the way home."

Sirens mom wasn't crying anymore, she listened to her son until he was finished," after words, Siren sent after those boys. And he murdered every single one of them. If he had just left it alone they would have gotten what they had coming. But Siren is stubborn and does everything on his own. Those boys got their lives taken from them. But the world had taken away my son. I watched his humanity fade for years. But they never let him return home. And I couldn't face him again."

I felt Sirens eyes on me, so I turned towards him," Dakota, I needed you to know the real story, I'm not as bad as people think."

I opened and closed my mouth several times. But I couldn't find the words to express how I was feeling.

I was silent. His mom finally left, and Siren grabbed both of my hands and made me look at him.

"Dakota, do you trust me?"

Did I?

" I don't know Siren." I whispered.

He chewed on the inside of his cheek, he was also at a loss for words. Did he expect me to say yes?" Dakota, I would never hurt you. I.... I met you one time. And I still can't get my mind off of you. Your strong personality, the way you scrunch up your nose, the way you roll your eyes when I'm saying something stupid because you know I want in your pants...."

His voice trailed off as I bit my bottom lip on thought.

He gave me a sad smile," and the way you bite your lip when you want to say yes, but your brains telling you no."

I rolled my eyes at him,"Why is it my brain always telling me no?"

He shrugged," you tell me."

The wind blew my hair in my face. There was hesitation but he moved it back behind my ears.

"I want to trust you, Siren."

"I would never hurt you. I'd never dare put my hands on you in a way you didn't want."

What was he trying to convince me of?

I felt myself laugh," Siren, are you asking me out?"

He almost smirked," Maybe. This is a little weird for me."

I sighed, he had been nothing but truthful. I haven't caught him in one single lie.

"Dakota, you're the first person other than my mother and I who knows the truth about what happened that day. I trust you. Please return that for me."

"I trust you Siren. Or I wouldn't be here."

He gave me a victory smile, then stroked my cheek with his hand." That's great."