Nathan

"She's dead," I said, hands on my head as I walked into the waiting room where my brothers were waiting for me. Hawk was the first one on his feet, my Vice President and best friend since we were born. He caught me before I could fall to my knees.

My baby sister was dead.

Overdosed.

They were already calling it accidental but I knew better. Someone had plunged that needle into her arm, giving her a fatal overdose.

How can I possibly know that?

My sister was on the right side of the law.

A cop.

That's right, the sister of an outlaw biker was a cop. And not a dirty one. Growing up in the life we'd had virtually the same experience. Only I thought it was a good one while she hated every second of it.

She'd even arrested me once.

We didn't talk about club business and I didn't ask about her deputy sheriff duties.

People who heard about it thought it was strange, but it worked for us.

Dad hated it but accepted it because he'd rather have a daughter who was a cop than not have his daughter at all.

Not that it mattered anymore. She was gone anyways. She wasn't supposed to be the one to die young. That was supposed to be me. Either by taking a bullet from an enemy or the law or in a blaze of glory on my Harley.

She'd been working undercover in the city. All the pretty city cops who could have infiltrated the cartel were known so they'd recruited from the county. She'd been so thrilled when she got the assignment.

I was happy too. As bad as we were drugs were a line we didn't cross. There was weed in abundance at the club house, but anything harder than that or liquor would get you tossed out on your ass quicker than you could snort it or shoot it.

Hawk held me on my feet while my dad had my mom in his arms. Her head was in her hands as she rocked back and forth against him, her grief already consuming her.

Bender, my sergeant at arms, stood on my left, opposite Hawk. The rest of my brothers crowded around us, our heads bowed as we all felt the loss of the MC princess.

Jenny's team and squad cried too. For once we all had a common goal, figure out who the fuck did this and why. Then get revenge. Although the other side of the room probably wanted justice. All I could think about was revenge.

I was numb when the doctor came to speak to my parents. He was very clinical. He'd told them that she would need an autopsy and that they would be called when her body could be transported to the funeral home. All her belongings were being handed over as evidence.

"I'm sorry for your loss," he ended his speech.

Unable stand the white painted walls of the hospital and its sterile smell anymore I walked quickly towards the exit. The entire club flanked my side as we walked to the row of Harleys in the parking lot. Getting on I pulled out first, followed by Hawk and Bender, then Hands. By the time all twenty bikes were on the road the roar and rumble of the engines brought me peace.

Once we made it back to the clubhouse the soul suckers and two whole old ladies my guys had between them were already there. Stepping over the threshold tapped the image painted on the door. It looked like one of the dementors from the Harry Potter movies. A python wrapped around its body. Before Jenny it had been only a python but she'd demanded it be upgraded after reading all the books and seeing all the movies. Dad could never refuse her. His only demand was that the python stay too.