Chapter 4

The moment she heard the girl's voice, Miya unconsciously blinked twice. “Good evening Ruby, how may I help you?” She asked as she stared at the dark sky. There were a few static and distracting wind noises she could hear from the call.

“Erm… you see, Alucard told me that he was called in for work and he would usually get home by now so I wonder if Director Wulf was the one who called him?” 

“Work?” Miya was now starting to get confused. “We’re currently having an after-party and well...” she paused before turning her head back to the restaurant. Her eyes glanced at her co-workers either thrashing around or helping a drunk stop from thrashing around. The sight of a puzzled Alucard laughing awkwardly as he was being forced to drink made Miya understand the situation. “...It looks like Alucard was tricked into joining the after-party. He’s drinking a bit with the director right now but I could give the phone over to him if you want?”

“Oh no no you don’t have to do that!” Ruby’s voice seemed to have gotten louder. “I was just worried about him… could you tell him not to drink too much? His hangover would definitely give him  a hard time at work.”

Miya nodded out of habit. “I’ll definitely tell him that. Don’t worry, if things got out of control, I’ll make sure to drive him over to his apartment.” 

“Is that so?” Miya immediately understood there was something wrong in what she said when Ruby’s tone changed. “Alu’s apartment huh… it seems you know where it is? Oh of course you do, considering that you two were-”

“I didn’t mean it that way,” Miya rushed her words. 

“I’m sure you don’t. I’m sure you mean well when you hinted how you know where my boyfriend lives and I’m sure that you’re just being a great friend when you offered to drive him home knowing full well that you used to date each o-”

“I get it, I get it- I’m at fault for phrasing it in such a manner.” Miya felt so frustrated and flustered at the same time. “That’s all in the past, okay? Sorry if I was disrespectful towards you but I swear I don’t have any ill intent. If Alucard does get drunk, I’ll make sure to drive over there first and bring you in the car so I could drive you two back to the apartment. I hope that’s fine with you?” The sound of silence made her nervous. 

After a few seconds, laughter was heard on the other line. Miya thought of numerous comebacks Ruby might’ve given to her yet the chances of the girl giggling wasn’t a part of it. “You don’t have to go that far, seriously! It was my bad for getting a bit jealous as well.” Ruby said with a few chuckles in between. “I just didn’t expect you to get so worked up- I’m sorry for finding this so hilarious.” 

Miya felt her face getting a bit hot. She couldn’t believe a 16-year-old just made her panic and even managed to tease her. “I- uh...” she cleared her throat and tried to regain her composure. Calm down, Miya. Don’t embarrass yourself in front of a junior. “Right. I guess we’re even now.”

“I guess we are, huh?” Ruby’s tone returning back to her usual cheery self made Miya relaxed. “Could you tell me which restaurant the party's at? I’ll grab an uber.”

“Ah, alright. The restaurant is...”

_______________

“Ruby~” The moment Ruby stepped in the restaurant, the usual cool and princely Alucard became a sloppy drunk. “Babe, I didn’t think you’d be here but I’m sooo happy to see your cute adooorable face~!” He barely managed to stop himself from tripping over his every step. The co-workers around him, especially Director Wulf, started to roar with laughter while Ruby was embarrassed at being the object of the center of attention.