Chapter 10: Soldier

Dawn's first light sprinkled against the ocean. Already fishermen were heading out to the get the first catches of the day. It was this time, Eleanor and Aoife patiently waited outside the jail house. Doors creaked as two guards helped Alex out, unchaining her arm binds.

The Legate sighed, snagging her sword and equipment again before heading to the charge. Concern written all over the redhead's face.

"Are you ok? They didn't do anything to you, did they?"

"Nothing. Just slept in some hay."

Eleanor curled her hands into a fist. A small flash of anger quickly disappeared as fast as it came. Small darkened half-moons sat under her eyes. She nodded. "Come on; we've got a few tasks to do before we can get an escort up the mountain."

The blonde frowned. "Wait, we're doing tasks before heading up? What gives?"

"They won't take us up until we do a few things." She paused. "That, and the damages you've done."

Alex groaned. "Arguing isn't going to help, is it?"

"..."

Curses pattered out of her mouth. "Fine, let's get this over with."

To her credit, the Shepherd thought as she led the way, Aoife thought the same. The Firebrand voiced her opinion. Thankfully, the people of this village didn't seem resonant. For now, she'd be residing in her, observing around her while they continued their tasks.

Back to the town's daily board, Eleanor looked around. "The Innkeeper said that the three are... Ah, here we go." She tugged the parchment and pulled it from its nails. A red stamp at the bottom, the symbol of the village.

"So the tasks are: Water gathering from a spring long the eastern path, a specific type of flower grown in the forests and..."

The Shepherd grew silent, squinting her eyes at the last request. Alex pulled the paper her way.

"And twenty bottle extracts of plums?" Her eyes squinted as well. She continued reading down the lines. "Bottles are at the inn, please come and get them."

As her hand let go of the paper, the Legate rested her hand against the hilt of her blade. Side glances to the rest of the town-village as the people rush on their accord. "These all look like chores."

"Maybe it's a ritual to allow us passage to the volcano? Remember the villages near the desert had a similar thing."

There was no use of complaining. If they went alone, they might get lost or hunted by whatever might be dwelling in that forest. Holstering her blade with its belt at her hip, Alex nodded. "So how do you want to divide this up? Do the plum bottles last together?"

Eleanor nodded. "Alright, I'll get the water if you get the flower."

"Sounds fine to me." She immediately turned to head off to the forest entrance.

"W-wait! Do you even know what the flower looks like?"

The blonde turned around, eyes looking from side to side. "I think I've got an idea."

A frown spread across. How so? She gazed around to the village. People pulling up banners and pennants hanging from large poles. Woven sigils embroidered by a flower. Five pink petals that stretched long, almost like two fork teeth. Its center a simple white with thin stylized stamen.

"Ragged Robin..." Eleanor mouthed. A flower of love. Her heart fluttered for a moment. Eyes closed to calm herself and steel her thoughts. Back to reality. Back to getting that water.