prologue

Most kids would grow up alongside their parents, having birthday parties, going out on family vacations, making sweet and happy memories.

That wasn't the case for Dante and Gianna.

As heartbreaking as it was, they spent most of their childhood in Texas, away from their native Italy, away from their parents.

Specifically their father.
Giovanni Caruso.

When she was about 23, their mother Naomi gave birth to them, the twins. And their first couple of years in Italy were alright. It wasn't until their sixth year when their father was almost assassinated with them in the car did they realize they had to send their children somewhere safer.

Hence, Texas. Their mother's native home. They happily lived with their grandma and grandpa until it happened again. Another attempt. This time, a kidnapping attempt when they were pre-teens.

From then, they were forced to move yet again. Boarding school in the middle of England. If it wasn't bad enough they were away from their parents, away from home, with targets on their backs, they also had to constantly move schools and locations. With so much change in their lives, the twins realized that their only constant was each other.

Until, their sixteenth birthday when they each assigned personal bodyguards.

With the twins growing up and Dante about to be an adult soon, Gio wanted to groom Dante to get ready to be the next capo to the Caruso crime family. And Dante eagerly couldn't wait. So for the first time ever, the twins separated as Dante returned back to Italy, leaving Gianna alone in England to finish school.

Roman Vitale was a smart, charming, hot head of a twenty year old fresh from a dishonorable discharge in the Italian Special Forces when he was "approached" (more like coerced) about a job guarding a very special girl for the Mob.

At first he refused. He didn't want to be some glorified babysitter for some mafia princess. But after some "convincing" (blackmailing), he finally accepted.

Because he looked pretty young for his age when he shaved, they passed him off as a senior for the rest of her high school career so he could keep a closer eye on her, and watching over her was easier than he thought. She was a quiet girl, who kept to herself and didn't do much aside from read and be on her phone. She didn't have many friends, which he thought was odd at first. In the beginning they didn't even speak much to each other, and he figured maybe because she was shy, which wasn't what he expected at all.

But her withdrawn nature also kind of concerned him. The more he observed and watched over her, the more he realized that she was depressed. Because she was all alone.

Roman felt for the kid and decided that it would be his job to not just watch over her, but also cheer her up. It was the least he could do since he was getting paid very well to basically hang out with her.

So one weekend, he rolled up to her dorm and declared that they were going out.

"Out?" Gianna spoke. "Where?"

"To London," Roman said as if it was obvious. "You've lived here three years and you've never even seen the city," he said.

Gianna looked up at him, slightly confused. "Yeah...me and my brother were gonna visit but he left," she tells him. "So I️ guess I️ just never got around to doing it."

"You gotta be bored sitting in here all the time when there's a whole city that you've never been to to explore," he said.

She eyed him up and down. "Aren't you supposed to be keeping me out of harm's way, not putting me in it?" She joked.