chapter one

One thing Jodie Tanaka loved about owning a bookstore was the people-watching

One thing Jodie Tanaka loved about owning a bookstore was the people-watching. She loved watching as the young kid who came in every Friday at three-thirty pm swung open the glass door and immediately sped-walked to the true crime section. She loved it when the old lady - Mrs McFaddon - from the apartment block across the street came in and offered Jodie a warm blueberry muffin. But the one person Jodie would actively look forward to seeing was the tall and lanky man who would come in nearly every day. Whenever he came, he would use the sleeve of his jacket or shirt to cover his fingertips to open the door and then hold it open with his elbow. He would offer Jodie a small smile but would never make eye-contact. And then he would disappear for hours on end, probably taking refuge in one of the ratty-yet-comfy armchairs in the back. He would drop hundreds of dollars on first-editions yet he never said a word to Jodie. He would pay, grab his receipt, and rush out. Rinse and repeat.

"Waiting for your prince charming?" A voice called. Jodie turned to see Alaska, one of Jodie's employees, coming out of the store room. Alaska set a box of books on the counter and leaned against the counter, crossing her arms and raising an eyebrow.

"Last time he came in was two weeks ago. This is the longest he's gone without coming in. I hope he's ok," Jodie answered, shrugging her shoulders. She then glanced at the clock behind her. "It's almost four, why don't you just take off? Rody will be here soon and then I'll close up."

Alaska grinned, "Thanks, Jo! Give my love to Rody."

Alaska went back into the store room for a minute and came back out, now holding her jacket and purse. She gave Jodie a kiss on the cheek and walked out, giving Jodie one last wave before turning the corner. Jodie looked back to the clock and sighed. Shen then turned to the box that Alaska had left on the counter and began sorting the books by genre, then alphabetically so she could place them on their respected shelves. The doorbell rang as the door opened, but Jodie didn't look up from the books.

"We're closing soon, so-"

"Sorry, sorry. I just wanted to pick up a book."

Jodie finally looked up to see the tall man that had been missing for two weeks.

"Oh, hey! You've been gone for some time," Jodie joked, setting aside the books and leaning her elbows on the counter.

"You-you know who I am?" He asked, his face contorted in confusion.

"Oh, not really. I mean, I remember your face. You come in a lot."

"They sell good books here."

"I order them," Jodie told him, offering a small smile. "Anyway, what are you looking for today? Maybe I can help you."