Chapter 1

I stare blankly into the sky, at all the stars, mostly because I can't sleep and the house I'm staying in has no roof. No one cares for us anymore. The houses are falling apart or boarded off. We're better off dead I guess. Finally I doze off.
I jolt as I wake up to oncoming chaos. I look down from the first floor to the street. I see a tall, skinny man running away from both regular and plagued wastrels. I sneak down stairs and wait by the door for him to pass by. As he does, I grab his arm as fast as I can and yank him into the house. I hold up my finger to my mouth, signaling to be quiet, and motion for him to crouch. We sneak back upstairs. I point under the bed and mouth "hide". Staring out, towards the street I watch all the wastrels pass by. I sigh with relief.
"You can come out now." I say. The man struggles a bit to get out from under the bed. "Finally. They've been chasing me for forever it seems." I look him up and down. "It's your clothes" He looks confused. "You can't come here in a full blown suit. They hate it. Here I should have some old, ripped up clothes somewhere. I run downstairs and find some old clothes in the dresser in the hallway.
"Try these, they may be a bit small but that'll probably make you fit in more." I hand him the old clothes that were my dads. "Thank you. I-I'm Arthur" the man says, seeming to want to catch his breath. "I'm Y/N...figuring the scenario, I'll take it you're not from here."
"I'm from the parade actually." I sight. "Why are you here then, to shit on us?" I said a little more rude than intended. "N-n-no not at all, I wouldn't take my joy, that's why. I didn't take my joy after seeing a picture of my brother and just kind of got chased out."
"Was your brother taken to Germany." The man was silent. "I lost four of my siblings when they sent them away. I don't really know how I escaped. I just ran and ran to the first hatch I saw." I explained, lowering my head. "I told him I'd protect him" Arthur said, seeming as if he were about to cry. "Let's get out of Wellington Wells." I blurted. Not meaning to sound creepy. "Together?" He asked.
"We both seem to want out. Let's just go, once we're out of here we can part ways." He just stared, then let his face drop, "okay, it'll probably be easier with a little help."
"It'll be a bit easier at night, less wastrels, but they're are police officers. But if we stay out of the roads it'll be simpler."
We sat and waited, getting to know about each other and our family's, and gathering all of the belongings we want to bring along. Finally, night time. I signal him to crouch and be quiet. We sneak out the back way of the house. I look around and see no one. "We should be able to run." So we do we run and run and don't stop. We finally hit the train station. "There's a short cut. I sneak into the room in front of the gate, where a sleeping soldier lays. I use my old Bobby key to let me pass to open the gate for Arthur.