Part 12

Mark was in his study, doing his normal routine of pretending to look busy. He didn't really have much to do, seeing as his older brother, Thomas, was going to be the one to inherit the thrown. Mark did have have work to do, but he often finished it all rather quickly.

That's why Mark wanted a Pet so badly. He did have friends, but they all had jobs to do and they rarely saw each other outside of business. So, even though he lived in a palace full of people, he felt lonely. Mark wanted someone or something to always be there when he needed them. Sure he had Chica and his horse Tim, but that just wasn't enough for him. 

Mark wanted more responsible than to just stare at the same old papers everyday. He was incredibly bored all the time and he thought a Pet was exactly what he needed, so he was more then thrilled when his father finally said yes. And it has been about a week and a half sence Mark had got Jack the "last Merman".

Now a days, Mark would spend his time doing his daily work than pacing his study counting the seconds till he could visit, Jack. Granted, he could technically visit Jack whenever he wanted, but Mark didn't want to push it with him. Jack was just starting to warm up to him and Mark didn't want to ruin that. 

Mark was currently sitting at his desk reading a book called "The Fischback Kingdom Laws and Regulations of Pet Ownership". He had read thing at least ten times now and could almost recite the whole thing from memory. Mark was about half through the chapter on "The fine points of the Pet Fighting Arena" when there was a knock at his door.

Mark set the book down and adjusted his glass as he told the person. "Come in."

The door was then dramatically kicked open and in strolled a skinny, blonde man with a blue Phoenix on his shoulder.

"Felix?!" Mark said, his eyes wide with surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"What do mean, man? Me and my parents have had this visit to you Fischbachs scheduled for like three months now." Felix said matter of factly.

"Oh." Mark said as he stood up and realized he hasn't look at a calender in quite awhile. "Sorry, Fe. I've been kind of distracted lately and it slipped my mind that you were coming."

Felix waved a hand at he and said. "Don't worry about it, bro." He gave Mark a bro fist. "I would've forgot to if Marcia hasn't reminded me."

Mark nodded and then turned his attention to the Phoenix on Felix's shoulder. "And how has the obnoxious Swedishmen been treating you, Cry?"

Cry flinched and tried to hide behind Felix. Felix reached a hand up and gently stroked Crys feather as he told Mark. 

"He's fine, just don't expect him to warm up to you. He's barely warmed up to me yet and he's really shy around new people."

"I know what you mean, man." Mark said. "Jack's the same way, expect he's rather quick to like people once he's gotten to know them."

"Speaking of Jack, we've never been properly introduced and I have a bro fit to give him. How could you keep him from, Mark?" Felix said pretending to sound hurt.

"I think I was doing him a favor." Mark said trying not to laugh.

Felix gasped dramatically and playfully slapped Mark on the shoulder. "How dare you?!"

Mark chuckle and gestured for Felix to follow as he told him. "Come on, I'll introduce you two to him."

Felix followed him as he dramatically through his hands in the air and said. "Finally! Jesus, I thought I'd have to threaten to tell Chica your not her really Dad or something."

Mark chuckled again as he told him over his shoulder. "Like she'd believe you anyway." 

The two laughed and continued to joke around with each other as they made their way down stairs.