Chapter 4: Bella notte

She had the most beautiful view to the sea. When she woke up the next morning, Sung Kyung got out of bed and pulled the curtains away. It was even prettier in daylight and when she opened the windows, the voice of people's loud chatter and the screams of seagulls filled her room too. It was already past nine then and when her stomach growled, she realized how hungry she was since she didn't even have dinner last night. Sung Kyung chose a nice, flowy dress that she hung in the wardrobe right after she arrived last night and put it on, looking at herself in the huge mirror. The air was already quite hot and humid outside, so she thought it best to wear her hair up again and after putting on her sandals, she was ready to go. Taking Paul's advice, she looked for a square with fountain but the one that was closest to her had no bakeries in the area at all. "Weird"; she thought to herself. Maybe he meant another one. But since the next fountain was quite far away and she was getting hungrier, Sung Kyung decided to just stay in the neighbourhood and eat something there. Which wasn't a bad idea, because the bakery she found after walking for about five minutes was very nice and the cappuccino she had with her omelette tasted amazing. She took out Paul's book from her bag and started reading it, holding the book in her left hand and the cup of cappuccino in her right as she enjoyed the light breeze caressing her face. She smiled as she remembered how enthusiastically he was talking about that book and was hoping she'd like the story at least half as much as he did.

Paul just woke up when Sung Kyung paid for her breakfast and left to go and explore the city. It was already eleven by then; he was never really a morning person. Besides, he didn't have too much sleep either, because the room he found yesterday night was by far not the best and he had to listen to the neighbours fighting like an Italian couple for hours until he could finally fall asleep. The Canadian was determined to find another accomodation and was hoping he'd get luckier this time, especially because the day had just started. Well, for him, at least. 

Sung Kyung didn't want to acknowledge it, but she was disappointed. She was expecting to see that English name on her screen all day long, yet the only phone call she made was with her boss, just about an hour ago. The man who used to be her boss. And that conversation was enough to make her feel down. Mr Kang was never one to be easy with his words. He always told everyone off if he didn't agree, but Sung Kyung admired that in him in a way. "That's what must make him so successful"; she'd always thought. But the nasty things he said about her really hurt and she needed some fresh air, so she decided to take a stroll around the hotel. The weather was much more pleasant than during the day, she liked how clear the air got after the quick shower they had earlier on. Much to her surprise, she found a tiny pond just behind the hotel with a small bridge to go across it and she stopped there, right in the middle. Sung Kyung was not okay. She was not feeling okay at all but she knew she would eventually. She needed time to heal, just like it takes time to recover from any sickness. Maybe her trip to Busan was one of her remedy pills? It was dark already and the moon was ever so beautiful she kept staring at the sky, thinking about her life and what to do next. She knew she needed a place where she would feel safe, with people who make her feel valuable. Earth called her back when her phone started ringing in the bag.

- Paul?

- Hello.. Is this a right time for me to call?

- Well... - she tried to say but he cut her off.

- I just realized there's a night festival here right this week! Apparently it already started and it's held in the other side of the city. Music, fireworks, lots of food; everything people consider fun but it's never fun if you go there alone. Would you like to come with me?

- Oh Paul. - she sighed. - That's so kind of you. But I don't think I'm in the mood to have fun right now. I'm not really the best companion tonight.