Chapter One

The darkness gripped me, and it wasn't letting go. It dragged me down into the dark. My mind was blurry as darkened figures gathered around with talon-like claws. Scratching and stabbing, as my bare flesh succumbed to their brutality. I screamed out in pain as they swarmed around me. I tried to push the figures away until a hot agonising pain shot through my chest, causing the creatures around to cry with joy.

"Ellie Laveau, please pay attention." the teacher asked.

The voice tore me away from the dark and brought back to reality.

"Ah, crap." I mumbled under my breath. Quickly, I raised my head.

Mrs Clayson's face was stuck in a constant frown. The teacher wore it nearly every day. (Cheer up woman, it may never happen).

"Sorry, miss." I said. Mrs Clayson gave me a quick nod and turned her back on the class and continued to write on the board.

I hated math, and my brain could not keep up with all the ridiculous numbers, but as my Dad says, I have to stick it out until the end. I looked over to my right where Lilly was heavily reading her textbook. Lilly was one of the cute girls, but she never really thought of herself as being pretty. She had long flowing blonde locks, but today it was high in a ponytail to show off her high cheekbones and her slender neck. She loved math, and even tried to teach me at one point, but it wasn't sticking and she gave up. I love Lilly very much, but the girl, she can be such a know-it-all.

I was about to finish some answers on my page when the bell made its ear-piercing noise and my heart jumped for joy. I slammed my books shut and threw the rest into my backpack and zipped it up. I hurried out of the class and quickly caught up with Lilly as she waited. She turned to face me and she had her careful look etched onto her face (here we go).

"You were sleeping again, weren't you?" she asked.

Lilly was one of my best friends and I have known her since I came to this school a few years ago. We hit it off quickly and have been friends ever since. She has become the mother of the group, always knew what was best for us.

"Um, yeah I've been having trouble sleeping that's all." I replied.

"Again? What's going on with you, Ellie? Are you sick or something?" she asked.

"God I hope not, I hate getting sick," I said while feeling my forehead. "No, no temperature. I just need sleep, that's all."

I hated getting sick. I always felt like I was on death's door, and, It was so not attractive, always blowing my red nose, coughing up nasty phlegm. Ugh, I just didn't want to think about that right now.

"Well, maybe you should see the schools nurse?" Lilly suggested. "You look puffy."

"I'll be OK, but thanks. Let's get something to eat, maybe that will help." I said to change the topic.

We arrived together at the dinner hall, and, as usual, everyone had their little group and sat at the same table every day. The hall had a high white ceiling with long circular lights hanging down low along with a wooden tiled floor that had seen better days. We quickly bought a sandwich and a drink from one of the vending machines. I looked over and saw Becky wave at us from our favourite table, shaking her many bangles attached to her wrist at the same time. Rebecca (Becky for short, as she hates being called Rebecca) was also one of my other best friends and I adored her.

Becky has a cute little mole on her right cheek, (she calls it her beauty mark, but Lilly and I sometimes tease her about it), Becky's hair was black as the night, and cut short, she had a thin nose with soft full pink lips that she covers with a bit too much lip-gloss. I sat down at our small table and ate my sandwich; I didn't realise how hungry I was until I took my first bite.