Thriteen

Hugh walks into the hospital and immediately heads towards the desk. There's a queue but he pushes through.

"Oh hello again." Says the same woman as yesterday.

"Where's Daniel Burton?"

She scrolls on her computer and clicks on the mouse a few times.

"He was moved to a ward last night, ward three in fact. But he gets discharged in five minutes so you'll have to be quick."

"Alright, cheers." He says, quickly turning away and jogs along the reception area.

He reaches ward three and spots Daniel at the end of the isle. Daniel is putting in his coat, Hugh has caught him just in time.

"Mr Burton."

"Yes. Oh it's you again."

Hugh walks over to him.

"What is it?" Daniel says. "Have you found my wife?"

"No, not yet."

Daniel hangs his head in worry.

"I promise we have our best officers on this case. We will find her Mr Burton."

He nods.

"So why are you here?"

"Something has come up in Georgie's autopsy. She was three weeks pregnant when she was killed. I've looked on her records and family liaison visited her parents, she wasn't married and didn't have a boyfriend. Do you have any idea who's baby it was?"

Daniel looks around the room and scratches his head. He takes a deep breath.

"It was mine."

Hugh gives him a surprised look.

"Georgie's baby was mine."

"So you had a fling with her?"

"No, I loved her and she loved me."

"Okay, okay."

"I know what you're thinking, a rich guy uses his maid for sex. But we loved each other. It was true love."

"You still practiced unsafe sex with her."

"She promised me she would take the pill, but she didn't. Four days ago she told me she had missed her period and she thought she was pregnant. So she did a test and she was right, she was pregnant."

"Right okay. Thank you for clearing that up. We know how dangerous these people are so I want you to go straight home, lock all your doors and windows. Do not go out for anything, a plain clothed officer will be placed outside your house twenty four hours a day. Do you understand?"

Daniel nods and finishes pulling his coat on.

"We will find Kate, I promise."

He nods again and walks away. Hugh runs his hand through his hair, he's just witnessed a man's life fall to pieces in front of him.