CHAPTER SIX

She tossed over and sought for her phone on the nightstand with her eyes still closed.

When her fingers found it, she opened up to know the time.

4:40.

She stretched, reciting the morning azkar then slipped into her bedside slippers and got on her feet, tying her messy hair as she made for the bathroom.

In about twenty minutes, she's in front of his room dressed in a hijab and she knocked, reclining on the door casing as she's still sleepy.

It's unanswered and she turned the handle and stepped in to meet him on the work desk, working on his laptop.

"Why didn't you answer me?" She stood by the desk, a hand on her waist and the other on the table.

"What're you doing here this late at night?"

"Haven't you seen the time? Or didn't you hear the call for prayer?"

He checked his watch and glanced at her.

"And?"

"It's Saturday. I want us to spend the weekend together and we're starting that by praying together."

"Spend the weekend together? When did we plan that?"

"In my dream." She yawned and tapped her lips as she did. "C'mon get up, you didn't spend the whole night before this thing did you?"

He reclined on his chair and gazed her up. "You're gonna pray yawning like that? You'd swallow me whole."

"I can't do that. Just go and make wudu', I won't feel normal until I've prayed."

His brows rose. "Really?"

"Really, get up." She held his arm and made to pull him up and he obliged.

"It's not even time for prayer yet."

"Let's do nafila then pray, Allah will he pleased."

He smiled at her and disappeared for the bathroom.

They prayed together and after the taslim did he realize that's the first time they've ever done that. Not even on their wedding night did they pray and he sought forgiveness from Al-Gaffar for forsaking that obligation, it's his duty to lead her in prayer on the first night.

"Pray for us." She mumbled behind him, still dozing.

"Are you sure you even prayed well? Seems you slept half of it."

"Don't be silly." She jeered, peeking at him from beneath the cap of her khimar as she drew it to cover half of her face up to her little nose. "Pray."

He smiled again which she missed. "For what?"

"For peace, for a better life."

"I pray for peace and a better life."

"Here and in the hereafter."

He repeated after her.

"And for happiness, and true relations."

"And for happiness and true relations."

"You pray, not repeat after me."

"Okay."

He prayed for them and she's nodding off when he's done.

"Lay your head, I'll wake you up when it's time for subh."

"You didn't wake me up the last time I slept here."

"Well I didn't stay till subh."

"You left at night?" Her croaky voice faded a little as she sprang up to sit upright.