Chapter 2

"Hey Kai," I greeted my brother as we met in the hallway. People brushed past us as we leaned against the wall.

"Sup."

"Anastasia broke ties with Claire and the gang today."

"Why?" He asked.

"Because I told her what happened. She was upset about it and I heard that she went off on them," the hallways were starting to thin out.

"That's good..." there was something hidden there.

For being brother and sister me and my brother were close, we could practically read each other's minds. It might have something to do with the fact that my brother is trans, female to male. He came out to me last year, and my parents a few months back. My parents are very accepting of both me and my brother. Me being lesbian and him being trans and pansexual.

"What's that supposed to mean," he opened his mouth to protest but I stopped him short, "I know when you're hiding something now what is it?"

He sighs, "It's just that you guys have been on and off so much. That girl is going to break your heart."

"What are you saying?" I didn't give him time to answer, "one of those times was because she attempted suicide. She broke up with me because she thought it would lessen my pain and the other time was because I thought we were moving."

He gives me a strange look that I can't read, "Just be careful, I don't want you to get hurt."

I roll my eyes, "She would never do that and I think I left my binder in 7th period, I'll meet you at the car." I didn't wait for his answer as I pivoted and set off. As I turned the corner, I saw a shadow bolt around the opposite corner. It was so quick I was sure I had imagined it.

"I'm surprised you waited for me," I said as I got in the passenger's seat.

"Mom would be mad if I abandoned you."

We sat in silence the whole drive home. I'm still mad at him for what he said about Anastasia.

As soon as we pull into the garage I get out, don't even wait for him to stop the car. My backpack catches between the dashboard and my seat.

Kai turns the car off, "Need a hand?"

I just roll my eyes and wiggle my backpack free. I sling it over my shoulder and retrieve my zipper binder.

"You know you can leave stuff in your locker."

"I know but I have homework in my binders."

He shrugs and slips behind the backside of the car to reach the door; the front side is always blocked. I follow him and he holds the door open. I kick my shoes off in the laundry room then head into the kitchen.

"Hey mom."

"Hi, honey."

I grab an apple from the bowl on the counter and head towards my room.

. "I'll be in my room," I call over my shoulder as I close the door behind me. I don't catch my mom's answer but if it's important she'll come tell me.

My Guinea Pig, Hershey starts squealing at me: she's out of hay.

"Hey Hersh!" I say, "I don't know about you but I had a bad day." She just stares at me and I reach over to her hay bin and slip some in her trough. "Of course, you're a Guinea Pig."