If you can't see me

Context; 'they' is the person/player. They don't have a name - thats up to interpretati. 'He' is the creature.

-

They never used to get spooked by their own room in the past. Even in the dark of night, serenity would fall upon them and they'd fall asleep without worry.

Tonight was different.

A presence plagued the room. It took them a while to finally gain their bearings and lay down. Yet in the back of their head, something spoke. Silently. Not even a whisper in the night, they thought they were hearing things.

And they closed their eyes.

Silence...

Were they wrong about their gut feeling? Usually they weren't. In most cases they were actually frighteningly correct about bad feelings. Just as they thought they could relax, a voice spoke.

"Hello, stranger."

The voice was male. It was soothing; well, it would have been if not for the fact that they lived alone. There shouldn't be another voice in the room. Yet any courage to open their eyes and look at the.....creature? Was stopped. They were terrified; after all, there was a stranger of male background in their room. They were almost terrified of opening their eyes. What if it wasn't actually human? What if it was a demon?

"A....demon?"

They jumped. Could he hear their thoughts? They hadn't said anything....yet.

"Well....I suppose it could be true. I am very shy, you see. I don't know what I even look like. I hide in the dark the moment anyone tries to see me. I'm.....hoping you're different."

A cold sweat. They felt as though they couldn't move, but one clenching of the fist proved otherwise. Who was this? More importantly, WHAT was it? They were scared. A small whimper peeled past their lips. What should they do?

"Are you afraid?" Spoke the thing, almost calmly. "Don't be. I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here for one seemingly simple thing only, that is all." A pause, a deep breath, and they felt it on their skin. It was scarily cold. "I'm not sure how well it will end up, but that is to be seen, yes?"

No reply. They didn't dare speak, not yet. How did they know if this thing was lying or not? What even was its name? Curiosity wanted so bad to see what it looked like, but again, fear took over. 'Don't open your eyes. Don't. '

"I don't have a name." He spoke. A pause. "I need you to see me. Please. I am so very desperate at this point."

They finally found the courage to speak, but when they did, their words were shaky; petrified. "You...s-said you won't hurt me? How can I trust you? A-are you even human?"

Another sigh. It sounded as though he was....smiling.

"I won't. You can trust me. I don't even know if I'm human. How could I when I don't even know what I look like?"

They took a deep breath, moving their eyes from behind their eyelids. Sweat pooled down the side of their head as they did their best to calm their heartbeat and breathing. "Alright." They spoke slowly, "But....you said you're shy. W-what if I open my eyes and you hide?"

A break of silence. "It might happen." He spoke. His voice became oddly soothing. "It might. It might. I'm unsure what to do."

They stayed silent, thinking. There really wasn't a solution to this. Not one that seemed viable, anyway; all of the options ended pretty badly. Either they opened their eyes to behold a frightening creature, opened their eyes to nothing, or kept their eyes closed in perpetual curiosity of what this thing would look like. They couldn't go back on these decisions, either. It was a tough one.