3: Meeting

Emil sat in a bench under an old oak tree in the park. It really was a beautiful afternoon. Puffy clouds drifted across the sun, a cool breeze flowing through the park. Emil listened to the pleasant ruffling of the oak leaves above him.

Not too far away, the leader of the Russian gang was "chatting" with someone. Ivan was tall and intimidating, cruel to many. The perfect gang leader. He was towering over a wealthy businessman, hissing threatening words to quiet for Emil to hear. 

Emil watched quietly for a while, chewing on some licorice. Eventually, he got bored and started walking home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The doorbell rang. 

Adal glanced up from her camera, annoyed. She answered the door and glanced around. The doorstep was empty, except for a single yellowed piece of paper, folded in half twice. She pursed her lips curiously, then slowly reached down and picked it up. No attack, no smoke bombs, no ambush.

Relieved, she scurried back to her room with the letter.

It was addressed to Emil. Aching with curiosity, she opened it up and read through it.

In neat, thin, curving lines, an ink message was scratched out.

Emil Steilsson.
Meet me in an undisclosed location outside the city in one hour. Don't be late. Don't bring backup or else there will be consequences.
You will know the spot when you see it.

It was unsigned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Emil walked back in, he did not expect his younger sister to grab his arm and yank him into her room. "Ow! Adal, what the f-"

"Shh!" She closed the door and locked it.

Emil crossed his arms and scowled at her. Adal scowled right back. She grabbed the note off her desk and waved it at him. "Explain this!"

Emil snatched the letter. "Why are you going through my mail?!"

"This was suspicious! Besides, you know I'm curious."

Emil groaned. "Adal, I swear...." he trailed off as he read the letter. His face went from curious to alarmed to wary.

There was a long pause.

"Well?" Adal demanded. "Are you going to go or not?"

"I... don't know. I don't think I should go without backup, but..."

"...but you're curious. Like me."

The twins paused, staring at each other. They were very close siblings. When one was upset, the other could tell. They knew each other better than they knew themselves.

"Emil...." Adal started. "Please.... be careful, okay? Please don't die on me...."

Emil stepped forward and wrapped Adal into a hug. "Don't worry, Aðalbjörg. I'll be back before you know it." Adal nodded slowly.

Emil stepped back. "Cover for me?"

Adal pursed her lips. "Be back in two hours. If you're not, I'm telling the whole gang what's going on."

Emil rolled his eyes. "I won't be gone long."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two hours later, Adal was in hysterics. "Where is he?! He said he would be back by now! Is he dead, is he lost, is he captive somewhere?!"

Lovise peeked around the corner. "Adal?"

"He's gone! He's gone and he's not coming back!" Adal leapt into her older sister's arms and wept.