A Date with Sick Victor

I was in a rush to LFG to submit a quarterly report to Victor. I was surprisingly early and I encountered Goldman who easily took notice of me.

"Good, you're here. I was just about to call you. The meeting with the CEO today has been cancelled. I'll send you an email for the new schedule."

"What? Cancelled? Why?"

Goldman came closer to me, and whispered, "The CEO is under the weather. He's been sneezing in his office since yesterday. I bet he's got a cold. I wanted to see if there was anything I could do for him, but he only said to make sure that I tell you about the cancelled meeting."

"Oh okay. But why do you have to whisper about him being si---"

Goldman cut me off. "Shhh! No one should know!"

"Oh, ok... Ok... I'll be on my way then. Thanks, Goldman."

I tried to call up Victor to see if there was anything I could do for him but he was not picking up the call. Then it occurred to me that maybe I could get some fruits and food for him at the grocery store to make him feel better.

I went to the grocery store and bought some ingredients for a vegetable soup and got some oranges and apples as well. I hurriedly called for a taxi and headed over to Victor's house.

Upon seeing his place, I immediately felt my heart beating fast. What was I doing here again? What if there is someone else with Victor? What if Victor gets mad that I came here unannounced? Although somehow scared, my desire to see Victor and help him made me overcome my other feelings of uncertainty.

I rang the bell and heard a familiar voice at the speaker.

"What is it?" Hearing his cool, deep voice somewhat soothed me. I was relieved to hear him, although I recognized that he sounded really tired.

"It's me. Goldman told me you were sick, so I got you something to eat."

"Dummy. Didn't you know that by coming here you might get sick, too?"

"Don't worry about me, I'm really strong... Besides, I don't mind... getting sick, too..."

"But I do. You can leave the stuff you bought me at the front (cough cough) door."

I would normally just follow Victor's instructions but hearing him cough made me realize just how bad his situation was, so I had the courage to push the door, which was surprisingly unlocked.

I entered Victor's house and found that there were many files still piled across his living room, with some papers even scattered on the floor. I tried to pick some of them up and tidy the place as I inched closer towards his room, its door almost as imposing as its owner.

I gently knocked on the door, didn't wait for a response, and let myself in. I saw Victor on the bed. His eyes were closed, yet he was lying on his side, and wide awake.

"You're getting bolder, I see, coming here without my advice," he said with a weak chuckle as he opened his eyes and looked at me.

I instantly felt my face turn red as I recalled the last time he told me about me getting bold, which was when I had a little something to drink, in which we had clumsily ended up wet in a swimming pool. "Well, you seem to have been expecting me," I said softly.

"I told you to go home." Victor said sternly, as he turned to lie on his back, his eyebrows curving slightly with pain.

"I was just worried about you. You have to get better soon, so... So you can approve my report, and continue our funding, of course."

"If that's the only reason you're here, you can be sure that I'm fine and you can leave," he finally said, turning his back on me.

"Of course that's not the only reason I'm here, I only said that so you won't—" I cut myself short, realizing I had too much to say. I felt my cheeks flushed red and tried to change the subject by feeling his forehead for fever.

"Oh Victor, you've got a high fever, I better get you damp cloth and some ice," I said as I pulled my hand away and tried to get up. But Victor pulled back my hand and held on to it.

"Just- stay. Stay with me for a while," he said, as he gently held my hand.

I stared at Victor as he closed his eyes, his features softened as his hair tilted on the side as he turned sideways to face me. His eyebrows wrinkled from time to time as he tried to clear his throat. Although he seemed a bit uncomfortable, he looked very handsome and gentle.

As his breathing got more steady, I slowly left his room and made my way to his kitchen to prepare him some food: I had ginger tea, chicken and vegetable soup, fruits as well as coconut water to freshen him up. I put them all in a tray, but as I turned, I was surprised to see Victor seated on the sofa. He was clearly staring at me, but when our eyes met, he quickly shifted to looking at some papers.

"What are you doing here? You should be resting in bed!" I said, surprised.

"I'm fine," he insisted, as he shuffled the papers and put them down.

I placed the food on the sofa table and moved closer to him.

"Please eat."

"Are you sure this is edible?" He retorted with his all familiar countenance of doubt whenever he dealt with me.

"Of course it is! These are all my specialties." I said cheerfully.

Victor's eyes seemed to smile as he slowly ate the food I prepared for him. He started with the coconut water, and easily finished the chicken and vegetable soup. He slowly sipped the ginger tea, after he finished the fruits, and I was so glad that he had an appetite that I must have been smiling like a fool when he uttered the word, "dummy." I felt that he was getting better.

As I got ready to stand and clean up the dishes, Victor opened his mouth and told me, "Wait. Uh, just stay right there."

To my surprise, Victor shifted to his seat and slowly lay on the the sofa where we were both seated, resting his head gently on my lap. I felt the temperature rise within me as my face turned hot once again, seeing Victor's excellent features up close on my lap, his face so easily within reach.

"Uh, this is punishment for not listening to my instructions," he said sternly as he gently flicked my forehead.

"Now come closer, I have something to tell you," Victor said.

I obediently leaned closer with my ear to his face, then remembering that there were only two of us in his house, I cleared my throat.

"I think I hear you just fine," I said.

"I know, but this is a secret, so you have to come closer. Otherwise you won't hear," he said mysteriously.

I drew closer to Victor, and just as I was about to feel his breath on mine, he put up my hand which he held in his, just between our faces, and kissed it.

"This is to thank you for taking good care of me today," he said gently. "There will be more pay back once I get better," he added mischeivously. 

With flushed cheeks, I was so thankful that the sofa had a strong yet soft and well supported back, which I leaned on. So I sat there, watching Victor fall asleep, clutching gently to my hand, as if it were the greatest treasure in the world.