Chapter 2

When they got to the Glitch-infested area, all the techs immediately did everything they could to take it down.

"Zahra, go that way! Haneesh, you go over there! Miko and Five, do your usual!" Mitch ordered.

Everyone did as they were told and had already begun to fight, focused on the glitch. However, Miko and Five were having a hard time doing just that.

Miko couldn't seem to concentrate - she missed many shots when she fired at the glitch. The same was happening to Five; he's usually focused but he seemed just as distracted as his partner.

"Guys! What is up with you two?! Step up your game!" Mitch interjected.

Miko tried to shake off the feeling and started to look for a weak spot while Five readied for an attack.

"The weak spot is on it's head!" Miko yelled, summoning her faithful, feathery companion.

"Ally! Let's go!"

She raised her hand and hopped onto Ally as her companion came out of her gauntlet. It ran towards the weak spot, carrying Miko on her back.

"Miko, no! You were only supposed to look for the weak spot!" The white haired gamer hollered.

Gasping, Five called out Alpha and reassured Mitch.

"I've got this," he said.

Racing after his partner, he saw Miko attempting to scale the glitch on Ally.

"Miko! Stop!" He yelled.

Miko heard him and looked back. Big mistake. The she-tech got knocked off and fell, nearly becoming a human pancake if not for Ally swooping in to save her before impact.

Five ran past her as Alpha helped him to get onto the glitch. He charged up his gauntlet, ready to zap the glitch's weak spot once he was there. Miko sat and watched as they climbed the glitch.

Once Five had arrived at the spot, he aimed at it and was about to shoot until he noticed that Miko's eyes were on him. He didn't realise that he couldn't get his eyes off of her when things took a turn for the worse.

The glitch had realised Five's presence and was determined to shake him off. Poor Five held on for dear life, not wanting to fall a long way down, like how Miko almost did.

"What are you doing newbie?! Why didn't you zap it?!" Mitch shouted.

Taking matters into his own hands, he flew his van to the head of the glitch and personally zapped it at it's weak spot. Five began to fall when the glitch was defeated. Thankfully, Mitch caught Five in his van and flew back down to the ground, where all the other techs were. The glitch then exploded as everyone collected XP from it.

Back at HQ, Mitch explained the mission to Phil, which led to Five and Miko getting called to his office.

"So, Mitch told me you two seemed to be really distracted today. What going on? The both of you are a couple of my best techs." Phil, their manager, crossed his arms as he expected an answer.

Miko glanced at Five before looking at Phil.

"Well, something very personal happened between the both of us and we are having a hard time concentrating," Miko admitted, scratching the back of her neck.

Phil looked at them, unconvinced.

"Well, you can tell me. I'm here to help the both of you if you are going through a problem."

Miko let out a nervous laughter. "This is something we rather not talk about with others."

"Yeah, we sorta said that we wanted to keep this between us." Five smiled nervously in response.

Phil sighed, running a hand through his graying hair. "If you aren't gonna tell me, then I think it's best to separate you guys."

"What!?" The pair exclaimed in unison.

"You can't separate us! We've been partners since we started working here!" Miko argued.

Five gave a sad look. "Miko, we were distracting each other. Maybe it is for the best."

She stared at Five, then at Phil before resting her gaze on the floor below.

"Okay. Will we be able to be partners again anytime soon?" The purple haired girl queried softly.

"Well, if you show good progress and do a better job, you guys can try and work together again. But if you two are still distracted and can't work, then you guys will permanently be on different teams," Phil warned.

Miko cringed at the thought of that and nodded.

"Okay, we promise to show as much progress as we can and not get distracted when we are partnered up again," she vowed while Five did the same.

Phil seemed satisfied by their answer. "Now get out of my office. I will assign you to your different teams later."

They nodded before heading out, looking at each other when they left his office.

"Let's hope I get partnered with someone good. Well, except for Mitch," Miko said.

"Yeah. Anyways, I'm gonna go and read a book, see ya Meeks," Five waved and walked off in the opposite direction.

She blushed at the nickname and waved back.

"S-see ya."

___

Written by: TOHFan315
Word count: 844