Part I: Chapter Two

2264

Imperisky departure bay- 6.02 am

This was her ship now, the Family's first of course but in the vectors beyond this time and the next, this was her ship. And despite her distaste for how and why she got this position and her downright disillusionment as to the point of this mission, there was a reason she has worked hard at the academy; she loved them. She loved the buzz of ships, the shininess and the tranquillity of them. Imperisky was no exception in fact she was a kicker, no expense had been saved she was the face of the Family's dedication to exploration- Sam tried not to let that put her off.

"Curious, isn't it? The title they chose. Representative is it not?"

She froze, the stupid man walked like one of those old human things, what were they called? Ninas? Ninjas? Something stupid like that.

"Are you aware of its origins; it means-"

She reeled on him, it was different to think these things, it was different for her to say these things in dark bars and her uncle's office. He on the other hand was clearly suicidal.

"I'm aware Doctor." She hissed glancing around "But surely even a computer understands diplomacy a little better than that. You are not in a position to make that kind of observation."

"Which would, of course, suggest chosen thought route was valid."

Sam glared at him, he was right of course but that didn't make him any less stupid. The man was barely 62% human-compatible and raised on an outer galaxy allied territory.

"Doctor, I highly suggest you terminate that particular line or at least attempt to conceal it." Her voice was rough and authoritative, her leadership training had taught her to adopt linguistic patterns of her subordinates in order to build a rapport, but this was more a sneer than anything.

"Yes, Captain." He glared at her, "I require assistance, as you are aboard you must check the medical bay."

"Fine, show me."

He sighed and turned stiffly walking out of the room as she followed him. Without him looking at her, or nigh on blaspheming she allowed herself to revel in the shame of it. He was rather good-looking, not as exotic as she sometimes went for, in fact for a middle-range percentage he seemed fairly human, granted he had a proclivity for turning aubergine whenever his blood pressure was up, which clashed terribly with his bright red hair. It was obvious he was a doctor as well, yes, he had had physical training but it was minimal- no doubt he could still disarm the average assailant in under 5 seconds but his fitness requirements were not quite as stringent, leaving him lean and tall. Shame he had such a big stick up his ass... And that he was her subordinate.

"I believe it will be all to your satisfaction. I have personally checked every aspect, given my superior expertise in the matter I find your presence unnecessary."

She rolled her eyes at him. He knew why she was there and he knew that it was the Captain's job to overlook all aspects of the ship- she had had more training in ship protocols than any other creature in her year. He was being facetious.

"Relax, PC, I'm not here to step on your toes. Just to ensure competence, all I've got to do is randomly check a few things you've ticked and then we're good to go."

"Reasoning Error-"

"Yep, don't care. " She rolled her eyes again "I trust that you haven't fucked this up, so let me tick the boxes and we can be on our way PC, OK?"

He sighed and placed his hand on a monitor in the wall.

"The room is congruent with codes one through eight. Medical supplies fully stocked, with one thousand-five hundred Terrestrial Immune Boosters, two hundred and fifty extra inoculates, three Automated Individual Respirators and five thousand Flesh Constructing Bots with decontamination equipment."