life of a cicada

They waited with bated breath. "It's finally our time." Kirby thought, with endless anticipation for the soil to reach the perfect temperature of sixty-four degrees. Kirby and Suna had spent most of their lives underground as nymphs, waiting to go aboveground and live as an adult. "Suna, what do you think life will be like up there?" Kirby was nearly pacing in their underground tunnels. "Don't worry Kirby, with all luck, we'll find our mates and hear the song of our people."

They felt the ground changed and started venturing out to see the breathtaking evening sky, song erupting all around. Kirby looked over to Suna, her wide blue eyes locked on a figure in the distance. "Go on, Suna, go get him." Kirby said, suddenly realizing how wide the world was. Suna nodded, moving forward, not even looking back to Kirby.

Now alone, Kirby started to spin in circles, the spring air suffocating her. Maybe she should have thought this out more. "What am I supposed to do without Suna? How do you find a mate like this? It shouldn't be this hard, Suna did it almost instantly." Kirby let herself stop thinking, and just started going somewhere, feet leading her blindly.

Kirby must have let her feet lead her too blindly, as it was weeks later, and it seemed she was nearing the end of her life above ground. She was sitting on a nice tree branch waiting, surveying the area, when a familiar shade of blue caught her eye. Clumsily flying, Kirby found her way to Suna, adrenaline washing over her. Kirby and Suna locked eyes, but Suna showed no interest. "So you've moved on Suna." Kirby said, her mood dropping. "I'm sorry, who are you?" Kirby walked away, giving up.

All that's left is to wait for the inevitable end under the wide sky. So's the life of a cicada.