Chapter one Year 1986

My Grandmother leaned closer over the wood table, carrying some of the plaid table cloth with her elbows. Her eyes were more serious by the moment, as the sound of waves pulsate through the house. The reflection of the lighthouse on our island was reflecting in her eyes. She was twirling her fingers in her hair, as she just stares at the table. No, wait. She is staring at something. A strip of paper, that read lore. What was LORE?!? I notice that my Grandmother must have been watching as she moves her index fingers over that mysterious word. I could tell she didn't want me to see that word for some reason that I do not know. The candle flickers, the only light in our house. The electricity took a toll and stopped working. "Worst storm, I've seen..." Grandmother spoke, trying to change the subject. I sat there for a couple of minutes, asking myself possible answers to answer my question. I exhale in un-easiness. "Your... Probably wondering what I'm hiding under my fingers." She says, quietly. I sat back on the chair. "Yes... I would." "What does-" she stopped me. "LORE mean?" She said in a racey type of tone. She now twirls it in her fingers. That strip of paper- now that I realize, is like a pocket. There is a mysterious rush of air that glides over the room. "I mustn't speak of it. For all I know, IT might be here already." She says in a eerie type tone. The door slams open. Tension builds between my Grandmother and I. The cold winds race through the whole house. I see the waves slamming against the island rocks, blindly bringing poor sea life with in it. All this frustration about the unanswered questions and the thought of the time running out was overwhelming. "Wh-What is LORE?" I say as I run up to the front door to close it. I sit back down. "Well..." My Grandmothers eyes shifted to looking inside that pocket of paper she twirled in her fingers with uncertainty and nervousness. Her eyes still fixed on that pocket. "Lore... is-" All of a sudden the door slammed open with the wind again running through the house. I started to shake out of pure scared-ness. ''IT IS HERE!" My Grandmother screeched as she got up and shoved me in the closet. I fall on sharp edges of wooden boxes as I try to get up to go with my Grandma. "No" she said quickly as she shut the door and sealed it some how. "Grandma!" I yell out of pure concern for the safety of her. I try to jam the door open: doesn't work. I hit my body weight against the door: doesn't work. "Grandmother! Are you ok?!!? Let me out!" I screech. A tear falls down my cheek as I know realize that I can NOT get out of here, noir my Grandma will hear me. I still cling on to that little hope left as I peer through the crack between the door and wall. I look around, nervously. Sweat forms on my fore head as if something was going to... pop out at me. I now feel I am going to have a heart attack. I am so frustrated! "Grandmaaaa!" I yell as I rush over and hit the door down. I search the house. I run upstairs. I look in the basement. No were to be seen, my Grandma. I get more of a headache and closer to a heart attack by the minute. "Ok... slow down..." I say as I stop, realizing that if I am going to find my Grandma, I have to calm down. A cool breeze escapes through the closed... front door. How odd? That door was not closed before! I run over to the door hoping I can get closer to finding her. I open the front door and notice that little pocket that read LORE on it. I mustn't.... pick it up. What if it had some of a curse on it and "It" would come after me? Wait... maybe. I stare at that mysterious pocket as the weather worsens. I need to pick it up because maybe if I get caught by "It", it will take me to my Grandmother. But, how will we escape? What is "It" anyway? Wait... should I DARE to pick this thing up? What if this thing harms me before I could get to my Grandma? Too many questions, too many unanswered... My head is starting to ache. No matter what happens, at least I'll die trying to save my Grandma. I made my decision. I gathered up all the strength I could, and I snatched that pocket of paper like if I didn't the world would come to a horrific end. I slowly picked it up. Was I expecting something to HAPPEN? Yes, I did. But nothing did? This was just strange... I stared at it... And time seemed to stand...still. "Finally" I turn around quickly, hearing that raspy and deep voice. My heart thumped and thumped as my brain tries to pin point where that voice had come from, leaving me tangled with fear and confusion. No one is there. All I saw was the whispering woods, and the clashing waves against the rocks... Nothing. I was so scared, but I had to find my Grandma. I had too. "He-he-hello?" I stuttered quite quietly. "Is-I-any-anybody there?" All of a sudden-WHOOOOSSSH- a great wind turns my whole body around to a certain and intended direction. My mind bursting with different emotions, I felt like I was going to explode. In that split second I felt something pressing on my chest, trying to control my heartbeat as if it were what ever was controlling it's. "Ahhh!" I screamed. I couldn't take this anymore. All at once the mighty wind forcefully drops me on the ground, facing the whispering woods...