The start

[this is gonna be a long, multiple part thing so sit tight. this is all my opinion. shoutout to my friend for helping me think of some of these parts.]

about a year and a half ago, i wondered the basic question, "how do mermaids give birth?"

this thought seems pointless at first, but think about it. how do mermaids give birth?

so i came up with an idea : regurgitation.

since mermaids have tails instead of legs, it'd make sense that they probably just regurgitate the children. when the baby was ready, they'd just be vomited into existence.

but then i was thinking, "what would happen if the baby wasn't ready to be regurgitated yet?" and so i thought that there would be a separate attachment of the stomach that acted as a womb and would open up when the child was ready to be vomited into the world.

but what about stomach acids? well, the fetus must've already adapted to this with a sheddable layer of protection.

the fetus would not need an umbilical cord, because they are too cool for you.

and when i talked about this theory, someone just said 'they lay eggs, dumbass'. so i brushed it off and forgot about it.

until yesterday.

yesterday night, as i was getting ready to sleep, i had a thought. a thought beyond any other.

"aren't they mammals too?"

so i asked some friends. 

one friend in particular heard my idea and all they said was :

"maybe their tail splits in half during the birth.

and then they die."

i realized that it made perfect sense. the tail would split, acting like legs, and then the eggs would come out. the mother would die soon afterwards.

and then we started talking about the little mermaid.

[to be continued]