theories

[credits to my friend for helping me with this lol]

we went to dms. we remembered how ariel had six siblings, and my friend thought that they had all come out at once.

but if you take some time to go through the wiki, each mermaid is a year apart from eachother.

1, gross, ariel was sixteen in the movie.

2, they probably had different mothers.

think about it. if you put all seven siblings next to each other, none of them look remotely related. the only ones that look related are ariel and her mother. attina might have red hair as well, but the others have a variety going from black to blonde. this could only mean that there would be a new mother each time.

we also realized that the chance of having a male merperson would be low, seeing as the majority of the mermaids we see are female.

we also thought that the reason they have a king would be so he could mate with as many mermaids as he can so there might be more chances to have male merpeople.

and then we used this as the key to realize how queen athena died. but how? we already knew how she died, so how would that work?

to be honest, i don't know. but we'll just pretend that she didn't die that way.

instead, she obviously died due to her tail being ripped open.

but you can see parts after birth when her tail isn't ripped open, so we just assumed that it would heal and greatly cut off her lifespan.

we also realized that fish have multiple eggs. so we have come to the conclusion that king triton picks one of the children and kills off the rest.

and yeah. that's it.

don't give birth as a mermaid, kids.

[the end.]