Totally Not Jealous

January 2018

It was a wintry January night when Joy and Sungjae emerged, all wrapped up, from Sungjae's car in the basement carpark. They were going to have dinner at the Park's house to celebrate the new year (and also before Bad Boy activities picked up). Their arms were wrapped around each other as they entered the lift, their hands still red and cold due to the freezing temperature.

Sungjae stamped his feet in an attempt to warm himself up and to reduce his nervousness. "Do you think abeonim will treat me differently?"

Joy patted his back using her hand that was resting there. "Why would he? You've already met them before!" She flashed her signature eye-smile, knowing it would make Sungjae forget about his nerves even for a little while.

"Yeah but now I'm visiting as a potential boyfriend."

"Oh please, I bet they already knew something was up when I asked if I could bring you over for dinner."

He nodded in understanding. The only other times Sungjae had conversed over the phone and met Joy's parents were during the filming period of We Got Married.

After their summer confession, both Joy and Sungjae had agreed that there was something going on between them that was more than 'just friends'. However, they would continue that way until they were stable enough to be together. For Joy, this meant concluding Bad Boy comebacks and for Sungjae, it meant getting into the groove of being a regular member on a variety show. Joy had returned to her dorm that night and bashfully told her members about it, earning a squealing and giggling parade that lasted into the wee hours of the morning. BTOB had found out about Sungjae when they observed him joking around more (if that was possible), smiling at his phone and always making sure to put his phone face down.

"My daughter! My son!" Mr Park enveloped the both of them into a quick hug before shuffling them into the apartment. "What took you kids so long? Jiyoung and Minji are already preparing to start eating without you guys!"

Hugs were passed around - from Mrs Park hugging the both of them to Joy's sisters giving them teasing looks and spamming them with questions.

"Sooooo, what's the deal with Sungjae oppa coming over?"

"Are you guys like a thing now?"

"Did your companies say yes?"

Her parents shushed them before they all sat down for a hearty family dinner. Sungjae shook his head and chuckled at their antics. After all, he was used to having a nosy sister around too.

----

Sungjae and Joy had had meetings with their companies about the bubbling romantic relationship they had with each other. As per We Got Married contract, both parties were not allowed to be together for the following year. Since the contract was fulfilled and Cube Entertainment had seen Sungjae's popularity skyrocket after the programme, Yook Sungjae had become a valuable triple threat artist that they wanted, no, needed, to keep. And so, it was done - Cube had allowed the relationship if only SM and them could collaborate and that Sungjae and Joy had to take responsibility for keeping the relationship a secret. Joy had to meet with SM's Managing Director for artist welfare, BoA, who sat down with her in a series of private meetings on managing her professional and personal lives, setting boundaries and priorities and managing one's emotional well-being.

----

"What time will Red Velvet be reaching the venue tomorrow?" Both BTOB and Red Velvet were attending the Seoul Music Awards 2018 the next day and girl groups tended to have to prepare earlier due to more time spent on hair and makeup. Sungjae and Joy were in his car returning to their dorm after dinner with the Parks.